A Comparative Study of Mathematical Content, Pedagogy and Technology using a Paired T-Test of the means of Seven Domains
Maria Mitchell, Central Connecticut State University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-02-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
My paper will discuss a study that is ongoing in a preservice elementary mathematics content course. I am interested in examining how preservice teachers in elementary mathematics develop and apply TPACK knowledge in a course entitled “Mathematics Through Computers”. I did a comparative analysis between pre/post test scores for a class that is taught traditionally and a course that is taught online. I used the mean pre/post scores and conducted a Paired T-Test on seven knowledge domains.. I used the Survey of Preservice Teachers’ Knowledge of Teaching and Technology (Schmidt, D. A., Baran, E., Thompson, A. D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M. J., & Shin, T. S. (2009) to collect the data from a Pre and Post Survey. They include: technology knowledge (TK), content knowledge (CK), pedagogical knowledge (PK), pedagogical content knowledge (PCK), technological content knowledge (TCK), technological pedagogical knowledge (TPK) and technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK).
Mitchell, M. (2013). A Comparative Study of Mathematical Content, Pedagogy and Technology using a Paired T-Test of the means of Seven Domains. In R. McBride & M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2013--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2273-2278). New Orleans, Louisiana, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/48446/.
- Kastberg, S., & Leatham, K. (2005). Research on graphing calculators at the secondary level: Implications for mathematics teacher education. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 5(1). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol5/iss1/mathematics/article1.cfm.
- Kitchener, K.S., & King, P.M. (1990). The reflective judgment model: Transforming assumptions about knowing. In J. Mezirow and Associates, Fostering Critical Reflection in Adulthood: A Guide to Transformative and Emancipatory Learning (pp. 59-176). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Koehler, M.J. & Mishra, P. (2005). What happens when teachers design educational technology? The development of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge’. Journal of Educational Computing Research. 32(2), 131-152.
- Lortie, D. (1975). Schoolteacher: A sociological study. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Lloyd, G.M. & Frykholm, J.A. (2000). On the development of “book smarts” in mathematics: Prospective elementary teachers’ experiences with innovative curriculum materials.
- Mezirow, J. (1991). Transformative dimensions of adult learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record. 108(6), 1017-1054.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (1989). Curriculum and evaluation standards for school mathematics. Reston, VA: Author.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (1991). Professional standards for teaching mathematics. Reston, VA: Author.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (2000). Principles and standards for school mathematics. Reston, VA: Author. Niess, M.L.,Ronau, R.N.,Shafer, K.G.,Driskell,S.O.,Harper,S.R.,Johnston,C.,Browing,C., Ozgun-Koca, S.A.,& Kersaint, G. (2009). Mathematics teacher TPACK standards and development model. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 4 – 24.
- Niess, M.L., Sadri, P., & Lee, K. (2007, April). Dynamic spreadsheets as learning technology tools: Developing teachers’ technology pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Paper presented at the meeting of the American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Rogers, E.M. (1995). Diffusion of innovations. New York, Free Press.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (tpack): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Schulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15, (2), 4-14.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.