Differences between enrolled in an integrated course and did not in TPACK and technology integration for preservice teachers
Shih-Hsiung Liu, National Changhua University of Education, Taiwan
Global TIME, in Online, Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
Technology integration is increasingly important for preservice teachers. However, preservice teachers still lack sufficient understanding due to isolated courses in teacher education programs. This study aims to explore the differences between preservice teachers who enrolled in an integrated course and those who did not in technological, pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK) and technology integration implementation during participating in school-based field practice. The integrated course, consisting of various teaching tasks about TPACK, was arranged as an elective course. One year afterward, 401 preservice teachers, including 159 preservice teachers who enrolled in the integrated course, were invited to fill out a validated questionnaire. The analytical results, by applying ANOVA and t-test statistical methods, indicate that the integrated course is effective for promoting preservice teachers’ knowledge and implementation about technology integration, while teaching fields which they majored in as students does not differ
Liu, S.H. (2011). Differences between enrolled in an integrated course and did not in TPACK and technology integration for preservice teachers. In Proceedings of Global TIME -Online Conference on Technology, Innovation, Media & Education (pp. 171-176). Online,: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/37074/.
© 2011 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Andersson, S. (2006). Newly qualified teachers' learning related to their use of information and communication technology: a Swedish perspective. British Journal of Educational Technology, 37(5), 665-682.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2005). Preservice teachers as ICT designers: An instructional design model based on an expanded view of pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning, 21(4), 292-302.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2008). TPCK in preservice teacher education: Preparing primary education students to teach with technology. Paper presented at the AERA annual conference, New York, 2008, March.
- Archambault, L., & Crippen, K. (2009). Examining TPACK among K-12 online distance educators in the United States. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 71-88.
- Brown, D. & Warschauer, M. (2006). From the university to the elementary classroom: Students’ experiences in learning to integrate technology in instruction. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 14(3), 599-621.
- Kay, R.H. (2006). Evaluating strategies used to incorporate technology into preservice education: A review of the literature. Journal of Research on Technology in Education. 38(4), 383-408.
- Leu, D., & Kinzer, C. (2000). The convergence of literacy instruction with networked technologies for information and communication. Reading Research Quarterly, 35(1), 108-127.
- Liu, K-H. (2007). Teaching digital art in art teacher education: Recommendations for Taiwanese preservice elementary art teachers in the digital age. Unpublished master’s thesis, Columbia University.
- Maddux, C., & Cummings, R. (2004). Fad, fashion, and the weak role of theory and research in information technology in education. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. 12(4), 511-533.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Niess, M.L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21(5), 509-523.
- Schmidt, D., Baran, E., Thompson, A., Mishra, P., Koehler, M., & Shin, T. (2009). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Shin, T., Koehler, M., Mishra, P., Schmidt, D., Baran, E. & Thompson, A. (2009). Changing Technological Pedagogical Content
- Singer, J., & Maher, M.A. (2007). Preservice teachers and technology integration: Rethinking traditional roles. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 18, 955-984.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15, 4-14.
- Wang, Y. (2002). When technology meets beliefs: preservice teachers' perception of the teacher's role in the classroom with computers. Journal of Research on Technology in Teacher Education, 35, 150-161.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- slides.pptx (Access with Subscription)