ICT Integration in Teacher Education: the Case of Israel
Olzan Goldstein, MOFET Institute and Kaye College of Education, Israel ; Miri Shonfeld, MOFET Institute and Seminar Ha-Kibbitzim, Israel ; Nitsa Waldman, MOFET Institute and David Yelin College of Education, Israel ; Alona Forkush-Baruch, MOFET Institute and Levinsky College of Education, Israel ; Bertha Tesler, MOFET Institute and David Yelin College of Education, Israel ; Zipi Zelkovich, MOFET Institute and Seminar Ha-Kibbitzim, Israel ; Nili Mor, Ida Heilweil, MOFET Institute and Levinsky College of Education, Israel ; Lea Kozminsky, MOFET Institute and Kaye College of Education, Israel ; Wafa Zidan, Mofet Institute and, Israel
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Nashville, Tennessee, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-84-6 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This study examines the current state of ICT integration in teacher education in Israel, the policy of the Ministry of Education and colleges of education, the scope of ICT implementation by faculty members, and pre-service teacher preparation in using technology in teaching. The findings reveal that the ICT integration process is characterized by a top-down process of organizational change initiated by the Ministry of Education, but in the colleges, the process has not been led by systemic organizational change. Most faculty members implement basic ICT uses, while only few use technology to create change in their teaching methods. Most pre-service teachers enter college equipped with basic ICT skills as well as positive attitudes towards ICT integration in learning and teaching, but teacher training programs do not provide them with adequate skills and competencies to teach with technology in their classrooms. The dynamics of ICT integration in the last few years is characterized by a slow down, but a changes are expected due to a new program of The Ministry of Education.
Goldstein, O., Shonfeld, M., Waldman, N., Forkush-Baruch, A., Tesler, B., Zelkovich, Z., Mor, N., Heilweil, I., Kozminsky, L. & Zidan, W. (2011). ICT Integration in Teacher Education: the Case of Israel. In M. Koehler & P. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2011--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2860-2867). Nashville, Tennessee, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved February 19, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/36748/.
© 2011 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Allen, E. & Seaman, J. (2005). Growing by degrees: Online education in the United States, 2005. Needham, MA: Sloan Consortium. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://www.sloanc.org/publications/survey/pdf/growing_by_degrees_southern.pdf
- Ariav, T. (2008). The New Frameworks for Teacher Education in Israel: Rationale, Conceptual Perspectives and Implementation. Webinar offered December 10, 2008 by the MOFET Institute. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://mofetitec.macam.ac.il/calendar/Pages/TheNewFrameworks.aspx
- ASTC (2010). Assessment& Teaching of 21st Century Skills. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from http://atc21s.org
- Becta (2010). Becta, leading next generation learning. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from http://www.becta.org.uk/
- Bonk, C.J. (2009). The World is Open. CA: Jossey Bass.
- Bosco, J. (2009). Web 2.0 in Schools: Status, Issues, Prospects. CoSN Web 2.0 in Schools: Policy& Leadership Initiative. Consoritum of School Networking. Redefining Teacher Education for Digital-Age Learners Summit Paper.
- Brzycki, D. & Dudt, K. (2005). Overcoming Barriers to technology use in teacher preparation programs. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 13(4), 619-641.
- Carroll, T. And Resta, P. (2010). The Summary Report of the Invitational Summit on Redefining Teacher Education for Digital-Age Learners. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://redefineteachered.org/sites/default/files/SummitReport.pdf?q=summitreport
- CEO Forum on Education and Technology (2000). Teacher preparation STaR Chart: A self-assessment tool for colleges of education.(cid:1)CEO Forum on Education and Technology. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://www.ceoforum.org/downloads/tpreport.pdf
- Goktas, Y., Yildirim, S., & Yildirim, Z. (2009). Main barriers and possible enablers of ICTs integration into preservice teacher education Programs. Educational Technology& Society, 12(1), 193–204.
- Gomez, L.M., Sherin M.G., Griesdorn, J. & Finn, L. (2008). Creating social relationships: The role of technology in preservice teacher preparation. Journal of Teacher Education, 59(2), 117-131.
- Granston, N.C. (2004). Technology and teacher training: The systematic design and development of a framework for integrating technology into Jamaica’s teacher training programs. A dissertation submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. US: University of South Florida.
- Hall, G.E. & Hord, S.M. (1987). Change in schools. Albany: SUNY Press ISTE (200(cid:3)). National educational technology standards. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS
- Kozma, R.B. (Ed.) (2003). Technology, Innovation and Educational Change– A global perspective. Eugene, Oregon: ISTE Publications.
- MOFET (2010). The MOFET Institute. Official website. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://www.mofet.macam.ac.il
- Moser, Z.F. (2007). Faculty adoption of educational technology. Educause Quarterly, 30(1), 66-69. Retrieved October 17, 2010 from: http://www.alexandria.unisg.ch/publications/34660
- Reigeluth, C.M. & Duffy, F.M. (2008). The AECT FutureMinds initiative: Transforming America's school systems. The Magazine for Managers of Change in Education, 48(3), 45-49.
- Rogers, E.M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th edition). New York: Free Press.
- Surry, D., Ensminger, D. & Jones, M. (2003). A model for integrating instructional technology into higher education. Retrieved January 21, 2010 from: http://iphase.org/papers/RIPPLES.rtf
- UNESCO (2009). Guide to Measuring Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in Education. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Retrieved January 20, 2010 from: http://www.uis.unesco.org/template/pdf/cscl/ICT/ICT_Guide_EN.pdf
- Van De Ven, A., & Poole, S. (1995). Explaining Change and Development in Organizations. Academy of Management Review, 20(3), 510-540.
- Webb, I. & Downes, T. (2003). Raising the standards: ICT and the Teacher of the Future. Technology Education Federation of Australia. Retrieved September 17, 2010 from: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=85713
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3045_32152.ppt (Access with Subscription)