Stages and External Factors in the Development of Rural Teachers’ ICT Abilities in Gansu Province
Shaoqing Guo, Northwest Normal University, China ; Zhuzhu Wang, National Center for Educational Technology China, China ; Naxin Zhao, Ontario Institue for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto, Canada
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in San Diego, CA, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-78-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This study examined the stages of development in rural teachers’ abilities to use Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and the external factors affecting that development in Gansu, China. We used the open coding methods of grounded theory research. We interviewed principals and teachers from more than 10 schools individually or in groups to collect data. We identified six stages of development in rural teachers’ abilities to use ICT: bewilderment stage, skill learning stage, imitation stage, accumulation and development stage, proficiency stage and innovative application stage. Incentive strategies and an effective support system were two important external factors affecting the rural teachers’ ICT abilities development.
Guo, S., Wang, Z. & Zhao, N. (2010). Stages and External Factors in the Development of Rural Teachers’ ICT Abilities in Gansu Province. In D. Gibson & B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2010--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 4025-4030). San Diego, CA, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/34009/.
- Bogdan, R.C., & Biklen, S.K. (1992). Qualitative research for education: An introduction to theory and methods (2nd ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Hudson, B. (1997). Groupwork with multimedia in mathematics: The role of the technology and of the teacher. British Journal of Educational Technology, 28, 257-270.
- Jiao, P. (2008). Jiao Yu [Education]. In H. Fan (Chief Ed.), Gan Su Nian Jian 2008 [Gansu yearbook 2008]. Beijing, China: China Statistics Press.
- Li, G. (2008). Gan SuGai Kuang [Introduction to Gan Su]. In H. Fan (Chief Ed.), Gan Su Nian Jian 2008 [Gansu yearbook 2008]. Beijing, China: China Statistics Press.
- Ministry of Education China. (2008). 2007 Nian Quan Guo Jiao Yu Shi Ye Fa Zhan Tong Ji Gong Bao [The Statistics Bulletin of Educational Development in 2007]. In Ch. Mi (Ed.), Zhong Hua Ren Ming Gong He Guo Nian Jian [The people’s republic of China yearbook 2008]. Beijing, China: China Yearbook Agency.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108, 1017-1054.
- Office of Technology Assessment. (1988). Power on! New tools for teaching and learning (OTA Set 379). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.