CITE Journal Volume 18, Number 2, ISSN 1528-5804 Publisher: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education, Waynesville, NC USA
Teacher activism is increasingly occurring in online spaces, but the implications for educators are unclear. The authors use the recent Oklahoma Teachers Walkout and the active #OklaEd network to offer an illustrative example of the power and fragility of socially networked teacher movements. They offer eight lessons educators may take from the #OklaEd network and the walkout.
Krutka, D.G., Asino, T.I. & Haselwood, S. (2018). Editorial: Eight Lessons on Networked Teacher Activism from #OklaEd and the #OklaEdWalkout. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 18(2), 379-391. Waynesville, NC USA: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education. Retrieved February 19, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/183635/.
© 2018 Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education
- Associated Press. (1990, April 17). Strike by teachers over salaries closes many Oklahoma schools. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/17/us/strike-by-teachers-over-salaries-closes-many-oklahoma-schools.html
- Bailey, B. (2018, April 11). Oklahoma teachers look to November election for change. The Frontier. Retrieved from https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/oklahoma-teacherslook-to-november-election-for-change/
- Carpenter, J.P., & Krutka, D.G. (2014). How and why educators use Twitter: A survey of the field. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 46(4), 414-434.
- Chang, A. (2018, April 9). How tax cuts for the rich led to the Oklahoma teachers strike. Vox. Retrieved from https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/9/17214924/ oklahoma-teacher-strike-tax-cut-rich-charts
- Dulaney, J. (2018, April 7). Oklahoma teacher walkout a burden to some parents. The Oklahoman. Retrieved from http://newsok.com/article/5589983/oklahoma-teacherwalkout-a-burden-to-some-parents
- Eger, A. (2017, October 12). Former Oklahoma Teacher of the Year who left for Texas shares his own cost-of-living comparison. The Tulsa World. Retrieved from http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/former-oklahoma-teacher-of-the-yearwho-left-for-texas/article_ec05e18d-ee22-53de-abbd-3170c075c2db.html
- Haselwood, S. (2018). Evolution of educator professional development in the age of social media: A case study of the #Oklaed community of practice on Twitter (Doctoral dissertation). Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK.
- Houser, N.O., Krutka, D.G., Roberts, R.P., Pennington, K., & Coerver, N.F. (2017). Navigating the reform–accountability culture in Oklahoma Social studies. Theory& Research in Social Education, 45(1), 7-42.
- Maiden, J. & Ballard, S.C. (2017). State of the states: Oklahoma. Journal of Education Finance, 42(3), 317-319.
- Pasquantonio, V. (2018, March 30). Why Oklahoma teachers are planning to walk out Monday. PBS NewsHour. Retrieved from https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/ why-oklahoma-teachers-will-walk-out-monday
- Payne, S. (2018, April 13). Stillwater teachers frustrated, upset after OEA ends walkout. The O’Colly. Retrieved from http://www.ocolly.com/news/stillwater-teachers-frustratedupset-after-oea-ends-walkout/article_7ec8255c-3f45-11e8-9ce7-f3a60c3315aa.html
- Rosenberg, J.M., Greenhalgh, S.P., Koehler, M.J., Hamilton, E.R., & Akcaoglu, M. (2016). An investigation of State Educational Twitter Hashtags (SETHs) as affinity spaces. Elearning and Digital Media, 13(1-2), 24-44.
- Tufekci, Z. (2017). Twitter and tear gas: The power and fragility of networked protest. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. What’s the matter with Oklahoma? (2018, January 30). The Economist. Retrieved from https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21736102-low-teacher-pay-and-severebudget-cuts-are-driving-schools-brink-whats-matter
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.