Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Washington, D.C., United States ISBN 978-1-939797-32-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
In this review of multiple reinterpretations of TPCK/TPACK that have emerged over time, we trace the construct’s roots not only to PCK, but more importantly to Shulman’s (1987) knowledge base for teaching, within which PCK was originally situated. We suggest that TPACK is a special case of PCK that sits within the considerably broader knowledge base for teaching, basing this assertion upon Cox’s (2008) explanation of the differences between teachers’ PCK and TPACK. Following Cox, we argue that TPACK references only the specific nature of a teacher’s PCK when unfamiliar digital tools are considered and implemented for educational purposes. We recommend that TPACK researchers distinguish among the different categories of teachers’ knowledge, reasoning, and action more clearly, bounding TPACK more narrowly in ways that mirror how Shulman delineated PCK with reference to the six other components comprising his knowledge base for teaching.
Phillips, M. & Harris, J. (2018). PCK and TPCK/TPACK: More than Etiology. In E. Langran & J. Borup (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2109-2116). Washington, D.C., United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/182817/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52(1), 154-168. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2008.07.006
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2005). Preservice elementary teachers as information and communication technology designers: An instructional systems design model based on an expanded view of pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 21(4), 292-302.
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1656– 1662.
- Baran, E., & Uygun, E. (2016). Putting technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK) in action: An integrated TPACK-design-based learning (DBL) approach. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 32 (2), 47-63.
- Cox, S. (2008). A conceptual analysis of technological pedagogical content knowledge (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2481 & Context=etd
- Graham, C.R. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 57(3), 1953–1960. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2011.04.010
- Groenewald, D., Carey, P., Lloyd, M., & Trinca, G. (2016, May 17). Revitalising our methods for teaching effectively with technology [Community contribution]. Retrieved from https://au.educationhq.com/news/34725/revitalising-ourmethods-for-teaching-effectively-with-technology/#
- Harris, J., & Phillips, M. (2018, March). If there’s TPACK, is there technological pedagogical reasoning and action? Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2018, Washington, D.C.
- Keating, T. & Evans, E. (2001). Three computers in the back of the classroom: Preservice teachers' conceptions of technology integration. In J. Price, D. Willis, N. Davis& J. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2001--Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1671-1676).
- Lee, M., & Tsai, C. (2010). Exploring teachers’ perceived self-efficacy and technological pedagogical content knowledge with respect to educational use of the WorldWide Web. Instructional Science, 38(1), 1–21.
- Loughran, J. (2013). Pedagogy: Making sense of the complex relationship between teaching and learning. Curriculum Inquiry, 43(1), 118-141. Doi:
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. Doi:10.1111/J.1467-9620.2006.00684.x
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. (1986). Standards, procedures, and policies for the accreditation of professional teacher education units. Washington DC: NCATE.
- Niess, M.L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21(5), 509-523.
- Papert, S. (1980). Mindstorms: Children, computers, and powerful ideas. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Pierson, M.E. (2001). Technology integration practice as a function of pedagogical expertise. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 33(4), 413-430. Doi:10.1080/08886504.2001.10782325
- Saad, M., Barbar, A.M. & Abourjeili, S. (2012). Introduction of TPACK-XL, a transformative view of ICT-TPCK for building pre-service teacher knowledge base. Turkish Journal of Teacher Education, 1(2): 41-60.
- Scannell, D., Corrigan, D., Denemark, G., Dieterle, L., Egbert, R., & Nielson, R. (1983). Educating a profession: Profile of a beginning teacher. Washington, DC: American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Thompson, A.D., & Mishra, P. (2007). Breaking news: TPCK becomes TPACK! Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 24(2), 38.
- Valli, L., & Tom, A.R. (1988). How adequate are the knowledge base frameworks in teacher education?. Journal of Teacher Education, 39(5), 5-12. Doi:10.1177/002248718803900503Yeh,Hsu,Wu,Hwang, & Lin (2014). Developing and validating technological pedagogical content knowledge-practical (TPACK-practical) through the Delphi survey technique. British Journal of Educational Technology, 45(4), 707-722.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PhillipsHarris_PCKandTPACK_MoreThanEtiology_52638.pptx (Access with Subscription)