Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Washington, D.C., United States ISBN 978-1-939797-32-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
In this paper, we have described the rationale, implementation procedures, successes, and concerns that occurred as we moved from a stand-alone technology integration course to teach teacher candidates how to use technology in their future classrooms, to an approach where technology integration curriculum is infused into content courses Our technology infusion approach anticipated the Technology Plan put forth by the US Department of Education and the Office of Educational Technology (2016) that called for teacher educators to address educational technology curriculum throughout preparation programs, not just in a stand-alone educational technology course While technology infusion in our college has been an effort incremental change, our research of this five-year movement suggests our technology infusion approach has been successful for us Because our context is unique and our findings may not generalize to other colleges, this session will highlight a set of questions that should be considered by those contemplating a technology infusion approach
Foulger, T., Wetzel, K. & Buss, R. (2018). Should Colleges of Education Move from a Stand-Alone Technology Integration Course to a Technology-Infusion Approach?. In E. Langran & J. Borup (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1045-1054). Washington, D.C., United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/182653/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Bielefeldt, T. (2001). Information technology in teacher education: A closer look. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 17(4), 4-15.
- Buss, R.R., Wetzel, K., Foulger, T.S., & Lindsey, L. (2015). Preparing teachers to integrate technology into K-12 instruction: Comparing a stand-alone technology course with a technology-infused approach. Educational Technology Research and Development, 31(4), 160-172.
- Foulger, T.S., Buss, R.R., Wetzel, K., & Lindsey, L. (2012). Preservice teacher education: Benchmarking a stand-alone ed tech course in preparation for change. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 29(2), 48-58.
- Fullan, M. (2007). The new meaning of educational change (4th ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Hall, G.E. & Hord, S.M. (2011). Implementing change: Patterns, principles, and potholes (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2008). Introducing TPCK. In AACTE Committee on Innovation and Technology (Ed.), The handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK) for educators (pp. 3–29). New York, NY: American
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108, 1017–1054.
- Niess, M.L. (2008). Guiding preservice teachers in developing TPCK. In AACTE Committee on Innovation and Technology (Ed.), The handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK) for educators (pp. 223-250). New York, NY:
- Polly, D., Mims, C., Shepherd, C.E., & Inan, P.A. (2010). Evidence of impact: Transforming teacher education with preparing tomorrow’s teachers to teach with technology (PT3) grants. Teaching and Teacher Education, 26, 863-870.
- Shapely, K.S., Benner, A.D., Pieper, A.M., Way, P.J., Snider, S.L., & Gershner, V.T. (2003, April). Integrating technology into teacher education: Navigating the complexity of institutional change. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL. Retrieved from http://shapleyresearch.com/docs/Integrating%20Technology%20in%20Teacher%20Education.pdf
- Shulman, L. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Sun, J. (2000). Planning into practice. Durham, NC: SEIR-TEC.
- Tonduer, J., van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers& Education, 59(1), 134-144.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- SITE_2018_Tech_Infusion_52164.pdf (Access with Subscription)