Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia Volume 27, Number 3, ISSN 1055-8896 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
Recently, virtual reality (VR) has attracted much attention. We have developed a VR learning application that simulates the process of constructing a self-built PC. Users can virtually experience the process of PC assembly with our system. Our system comprises a head-mounted display called the “Oculus Rift DK2” and a motion sensor called the “Leap Motion” that can track the real-time movement of both hands and their fingers, allowing users to move virtual objects with their hands. An evaluation was conducted after the system development was completed. We found significant improvements in users’ scores between the pre- and post-tests for questions about the correct positions for installing PC parts, but not for questions about the names of PC parts. Responses to questionnaires showed that user eye fatigue was considerably improved with our VR system as compared with the stereoscopic 3D glass/display case.
Teranishi, S. & Yamagishi, Y. (2018). Educational Effects of a Virtual Reality Simulation System for constructing Self-Built PCs. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 27(3), 411-423. Waynesville, NC USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/178534/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Bryson, S. (1995). Approaches to the successful design and implementation of VR applications. Virtual reality applications, 3-15.
- Kolasinski, E.M. (1995). Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments (No. ARITR-1027). Army Research Inst For The Behavioral And Social Sciences Alexandria Va.
- LaViola Jr, J.J. (2000). A discussion of cybersickness in virtual environments. ACM SIGCHI Bulletin, 32(1), 47-56.
- Leap Motion (2014). Leap motion controller. Https://www.leapmotion.com/ Retrieved
- Nakagawa, K., Suda, T., Zempo, H., & Matsumoto, K. (2001). The development of questionnaire for evaluating web usability. In Proceedings of the Human Interface Symposium.
- NVIDIA (2008). NVIDIA 3D Vision. Http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visionmain.html
- Shibata, T., Kim, J., Hoffman, D.M., & Banks, M.S. (2011). Visual discomfort with stereo displays: effects of viewing distance and direction of vergenceaccommodation conflict. In Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXII
- Teranishi, S. & Yamagishi, Y. (2016). VR Contents on the Process of Learning to Build a Handmade PC. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on ELearning inCorporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2016 (pp. 50-53). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing
- Unity (2016). Unity – Game Engine. Https://unity3d.com/ Retrieved September
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.