Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, TX, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-27-8 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This long-term single group study was conducted with pre-service special education elementary teachers taking the graduate level course Integrating Technology in Mathematics and Science Instruction in Special Education and Inclusive Classrooms in a New York City public university. The purpose of this study was a) to explore whether TK, PK, CK (in math and science) and TPACK are independent constructs in TPACK framework, and b) analyze effect of the TPACK-based course on these domains. Confirmatory factor analysis of the study instruments suggests that TPACK construct is independent from TK, PK, and CK (in math and science). The paired sample t-test showed significant gains in teachers' TK, CK (in math), and TPACK, however, there were no significant changes in PK and CK (in science).
Kaplon-Schilis, A. & Lyublinskaya, I. (2017). Exploring Independence of Five TPACK Domains TK, PK, CK Math, CK Science, and TPACK of Pre-service Special Education Teachers. In P. Resta & S. Smith (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2367-2375). Austin, TX, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/177531/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52(1), 154-168.
- Bowers, J.S., & Stephens, B. (2011). Using technology to explore mathematical relationships: A framework for orienting mathematics courses for prospective teachers. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 14(4), 285304.
- Chai, C.S., Ng, E.M., Li, W., Hong, H.Y., & Koh, J.H. (2013). Validating and modelling technological pedagogical content knowledge framework among Asian preservice teachers. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 29(1).
- Cherner, T., & Smith, D. (2016). Reconceptualizing TPACK to Meet the Needs of Twenty-First-Century Education. The New Educator, 1-21.Advance online publications. Dos:
- Dong, Y., Chai, C.S., Sang, G.Y., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2015). Exploring the Profiles and Interplays of Preservice and In-service Teachers' Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) in China. Journal of Educational Technology& Society, 18(1), 158-169.
- Field, A. (2009). Discovering statistics using SPSS. Sage publications.
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2001). SPSS for Windows. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Goldenberg, E.P. (2000). Thinking (and talking) about technology in math classrooms. Issues in Mathematics Education, 1-8.
- Graham C.R. (2011) Theoretical considerations for understanding Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK). Computers and Education, 57(3), 1953–1969.
- Kafyulilo, A., Fisser, P., Pieters, J., & Voogt, J. (2015). ICT use in science and mathematics teacher education in Tanzania: developing technological pedagogical content knowledge. Australasian journal of educational technology, 31(4), 381-394.
- Kaplon-Schilis, A., & Lyublinskaya, I. (2015) Exploring Changes in Technological Knowledge (TK), Pedagogical Knowledge (PK), Content Knowledge (CK) and TPACK of Pre-service, Special Education Teachers Taking Technology-based Pedagogical Course. In D. Slykhuis& G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2015 (pp. 3296-3303). Chesapeake, VA:
- Koh, J.H.L., Chai, C.S., & Tsai, C.C. (2014). Demographic Factors, TPACK Constructs, and Teachers' Perceptions of Constructivist-Oriented TPACK. Journal of Educational Technology& Society, 17(1), 185-196.
- Lyublinskaya, I. (2015) Evolution of a course for special education teachers on integrating technology into math and science. In M. Niess& H. Gillow-Wiles (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Teacher Education in the Digital Age. (pp. 532-559) Hershey, PA: IGI Global
- Lyublinskaya, I. & Tournaki, E. (2012). The Effects of teacher content authoring on TPACK and on student achievement in algebra: Research on instruction with the TI-Nspire handheld. In R. Ronau, C. Rakes, & M. Niess (Eds.), Educational Technology, Teacher Knowledge, and Classroom Impact: A Research Handbook on Frameworks and Approaches. (pp. 295-322) Hershey, PA: IGI Global
- Lyublinskaya, I. & Tournaki, N. (2013). Integrating TPACK framework into coursework and its effect on changes in TPACK of pre-service special education teachers. In R. McBride& M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference, (pp. 5006-5011). Chesapeake, VA:
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Niess, M. (2008). Mathematics teachers developing Technology, Pedagogy and Content Knowledge (TPACK), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2008 (pp. 5297-5304). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Niess, M.L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and
- Niess, M.L. (2008). Knowledge needed for teaching with technologies–Call it TPACK. AMTE connections, 17(2), 910.
- O'Bannon, B.W., & Puckett, K. (2010). Preparing to use technology: A practical guide to curriculum integration. Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Osborne, J.W. (2014). Best practices in exploratory factor analysis.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) the development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Sun, Z., You, J., Song, W., Qu, Z., & Luo, L. (2016). Identifying the Contributors to Improve Mobile-Based TPACK Competency of Elementary School Teachers in China. Preparing Foreign Language Teachers for Next-Generation Education, 74.
- Tondeur, J., van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers& Education, 59(1), 134-144.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3075_50423.pdf (Access with Subscription)