Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Austin, TX, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-27-8 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Critical digital pedagogy is an emerging concept in education, and it is important to the educational field because technology is an essential element in today’s classrooms. Critical digital pedagogy is the intersection of critical cultural pedagogy, culturally responsive pedagogy and digital pedagogy. However, very little scholarly research has been done to define this emerging term. The purpose of this integrative literature review is to develop a comprehensive definition of critical digital pedagogy in hopes of starting a discussion around it. For this presentation, we will be providing a detailed description of our methodology, including how we are synthesizing the results and any challenges we have encountered. We also hope to be able to present a preliminary definition based on the research so far.
Bontly, S., Khalil, S., Mansour, T. & Parra, J. (2017). Starting the Conversation: A Working Definition of Critical Digital Pedagogy. In P. Resta & S. Smith (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 383-388). Austin, TX, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 24, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/177311/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Aliakbari, M., & Faraji, E. (2011). Basic principles of critical pedagogy [Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Humanities, Historical and Social Sciences]. International Proceedings of Economics Development and Research (Vol. 17, Article No. 14, pp. 78-85). Retrieved from
- Anderson, M. (2015, October 29). Technology device ownership: 2015. Pew Research Center. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/10/29/technology-device-ownership-2015 Andert, D., & Alexakis, G. (2015). Virtual teaming and digital learning strategies: Preparing students for a global workplace. Journal of Online Learning& Teaching, 11(1), 122-148.
- Chrisman, N.J. (2007). Extending cultural competence through systems change: Academic, hospital, and community partnerships. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 18(1), 68s-76s.
- De Souza, M.T., da Silva, M.D. & De Carvalho, R. (2010). Integrative review: what is it? How to do it? einstein, 8(1 Pt1)
- Gallardo-Echenique, E.E., de Oliveira, J.M., Marqués-Molias, L., & Esteve-Mon, F. (2015). Digital competence in the knowledge society. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 11(1), 1.
- Gay, G. (2000). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory, research, and practice. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Gay, G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2), 106-116.
- Giroux, H, Christopher, R. (2011). Giroux reader. New York, NY: The Continuum International Publishing Group.
- Josephson, A. (2013). New technology-based models for postsecondary learning: Conceptual frameworks and research agendas [Technical Report]. Washington, DC: Computing Research Association.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary issues in technology and teacher education, 9(1), 60-70.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (1995). Toward a theory of culturally relevant pedagogy. American Educational Research Journal, 32(3), 465-491.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2014). Culturally relevant pedagogy 2.0: A.K.A. The remix. Harvard Educational Review, 84(1), 74–84.
- Marinagi, C., Skourlas, C., & Belsis, P. (2013). Employing ubiquitous computing devices and technologies in the higher education classroom of the future. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 73, 487-494.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. Doi:10.1111/J.1467-9620.2006.00684.xMonreal,T.(August23, 2016). Beyond surface-level digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy. Retrieved from http://www.digitalpedagogylab.com/hybridped/beyond-surface-level/. Ohara, Y., Saft, S., & Crookes, G. (2001). Toward a feminist critical pedagogy in a beginning Japanese-as-aforeign-language class. Japanese Language and Literature, 35(2), 105-133.
- Polistina, K. (2009). Cultural literacy: Understanding and respect for the cultural aspects of sustainability. In A. Stibbe (Ed.), The Handbook for Sustainability Literacy: Skills for a changing world, 117-123. Oxford, UK: Green Books.
- Ribble, M. (2014). Essential elements of digital citizenship. International Society for Technology in Education. Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/explore/ArticleDetail?articleid=101. Rorabaugh, P. (2014, August 6). Occupy the digital: Critical pedagogy and new media. Hybrid Pedagogy. Retrieved from http://www.digitalpedagogylab.com/hybridped/occupy-the-digital-critical-pedagogy-and-new-media/
- Selby, C.C. (2013). Computational thinking: The developing definition. Paper presented at the Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education. Canterbury, England, 1-3 July. Stommel, J. (November 18, 2014). Critical digital pedagogy: A definition. Hybrid Pedagogy. Retrieved from http://www.digitalpedagogylab.com/hybridped/critical-digital-pedagogy-definition/ Swain, C. (2011). Meeting the needs of all learners: The intertwining of culturally responsive pedagogy and emerging technologies. In M. Bhattacharya, N. Mach, & M. Moallem (Eds.), Emerging technologies in learning: Impact on cognition and culture. Waynesville, NC: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Toffler, A. (1980). The third wave. New York: Bantam Books
- Torraco, R.J. (2005). Writing integrative literature reviews: Guidelines and examples. Human Resource Development Review, 4(3), 356-367.
- Vinu, P.V., Sherimon, P.C., & Krishnan, R. (2011). Towards pervasive mobile learning? The vision of 21st century. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 15, 3067-3073.
- Visser, M. (2012). Digital literacy definition. American Library Association. Retrieved from http://connect.ala.org/node/181197. West, D.M. (2013). Mobile learning: Transforming education, engaging students, and improving outcomes. Brookings Policy Report.
- Whittemore, R. & Knafl, K. (2005). The integrative review: Updated methodology. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 52(5), 546-553.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.