Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Savannah, GA, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) is a well-known theoretical framework that has reshaped contemporary understanding of the interplay between forms of knowledge required by expert teachers. This paper draws on recent thinking and previously unpublished empirical data to shift the research focus to more closely examine the contexts in which TPACK is developed and enacted. In particular, this paper examines the way knowledge and activities of teachers are dialogically linked to the contextual conditions that surround them by considering teachers’ knowledge, identity and practice as part of a sociocultural, situated context. Two conclusions result from this work indicating the enactment of TPACK in a Community of Practice is not always consensual and that the reification of TPACK enactment in a Community of Practice is influenced by the power dynamics of its members. Finally, an elaborated model and suggestions for future research are presented.
Phillips, M., Koehler, M. & Rosenberg, J. (2016). Looking outside the circles: Considering the contexts influencing TPACK development and enactment. In G. Chamblee & L. Langub (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3029-3036). Savannah, GA, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/172122/.
© 2016 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Albion, P., Jamieson-Proctor, R., & Finger, G. (2010). Auditing the TPACK Confidence of Australian Pre-Service Teachers: The TPACK Confidence Survey (TCS). Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010, San Diego, CA, USA. Http://www.editlib.org/p/33969 Banakar, R. (2015). On the Paradox of Contextualisation Normativity in Legal Sociology (pp. 77-97): Springer.
- Bogoni, B., & Lucchini, M. (2011). Architecture, context, culture: Alinea Editrice.
- Brown, J., & Duguid, P. (2001). Knowledge and Organization: A Social-Practice Perspective. Organization Science, 12(2), 198-213. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/3086055 Burke, P. (2002). Context in context. Common knowledge, 8(1), 152-177.
- Contu, A., & Willmott, H. (2003). Re-Embedding Situatedness: The importance of Power Relations in Learning Theory. Organization Science, 14(3), 283-296.
- Cox, S. (2008). A conceptual analysis of technological pedagogical content knowledge. (PhD), Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
- Di Blas, N., Paolini, P., Sawaya, S., & Mishra, P. (2014). Distributed TPACK: going beyond knowledge in the head. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Doukakis, S., Psaltidou, A., Stavraki, A., Adamopoulos, N., Tsiotakis, P., & Stergou, S. (2010). Measuring the technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) of in-service teachers of computer science who teach algorithms and programming in upper secondary education. Readings in technology and education: Proceedings of ICICTE, 442-452.
- Graham, C.R. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical knowledge (TPACK). Computers and Education, 57, 1953-1960.
- Hofer, M., & Grandgenett, N. (2012). TPACK development in teacher education: A longitudinal study of preservice teachers in a secondary MA Ed. Program. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(1), 83-106.
- Kelly, M.A. (2008). Bridging digital and cultural divides: TPCK for equity of access to technology. In AACTE Committee on Inovation and Technology (Ed.), The Handbook of Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPCK) for Educators. New York: Routledge.
- Kelly, M.A. (2010). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): A content analysis of 2006-2009 print journal articles. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Kereluik, K., Casperson, G., & Akcaoglu, M. (2010). Coding pre-service teacher lesson plans for TPACK. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference.
- Lave, J. (1988). Cognition in Practice: Mind, Mathematics and Culture in Everyday Life. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lawson, S. (2008). Political studies and the contextual turn: A methodological/normative critique. Political studies, 56(3), 584-603.
- Martin, L., Warren-Smith, I., Henry, C., & Scott, L. (2014). Power shifts: women as entrepreneurs in the global context. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 29(8), null. Doi:
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Phillips, M. (2014). Teachers' TPACK enactment in a Community of Practice. (PhD), Monash University, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Phillips, M. (2015). Models of technology integration. In M.J. Henderson& G. Romeo (Eds.), Teaching and Digital Technologies (pp. 318-331). Melbourne, Australia: Cambridge University Press.
- Porras-Hernández, L.H., & Salinas-Amescua, B. (2013). Strengthening TPACK: A Broader Notion of Context and the Use of Teacher's Narratives to Reveal Knowledge Construction. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 48(2), 223-244.
- Rosenberg, J.M., & Koehler, M.J. (2015). Context and Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): A systematic review. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 47, 186-210.
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57(1), 1-22.
- Tabak, I. (2004). Reconstructing context: Negotiating the tension between exogenous and endogenous educational design. Educational Psychologist, 39(4), 225-233.
- Turner, J., & Meyer, D. (2000). Studying and understanding the instructional contexts of classrooms: Using our past to forge our future. Educational Psychologist, 35(2), 69-85.
- Wenger, E. (1998). Communities of Practice. Learning, meaning and identity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michael Phillips, Monash University, Australia; Matthew Koehler & Joshua Rosenberg, Michigan State University, United States; Benjamin Zunica, Monash University, Australia
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2017 (Mar 05, 2017) pp. 2422–2429
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3071_48106.pptx (Access with Subscription)