Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Savannah, GA, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
We evaluated a course for training teachers to use educational technologies in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) using multiple methods including a Graphical Analysis of TPACK Instrument (GATI) that was given at the end of the course. Other data sources included a TPACK survey given at the beginning and end of the course. The teacher training model includes a 3-unit summer university course with a field experience project at a youth organization. Teachers worked in teams of four to six to plan a set of four 2-hour workshops for the youth. 24 teachers completed the course, 13 agreed to participate in the study, 12 provided complete surveys, and 11 provided GATI diagrams. There were statistically significant increases in the mean scores in three TPACK subscales: TCK, TPK and TPACK. The GATI analysis extended the survey analysis and corroborated it in that mean increases in TPACK subscale scores were higher when GATI diagrams showed increased knowledge.
Adams, S. & Bernal, E. (2016). Evaluating a Program of Teacher Training in Educational Technology and STEM Using Two Measures of TPACK. In G. Chamblee & L. Langub (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2783-2789). Savannah, GA, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/172087/.
© 2016 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Adams, S. (2005). A strategy for technology training as part of a Master's program conducted at a school site. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. 13 (3), pp. 493-514. Norfolk, VA: AACE.
- Adams, S., Burns, P., Bernal, E. & Martin-Hansen, L. (2016, April). Student perceptions of STEM and attitudes toward STEM workshops at a youth organization. Poster presentation at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Baltimore, MD.-2788-SITE 2016-Savannah, GA, United States, March 21-26, 2016
- Adams, S., Bernal, E., Cole-Jackson, M. & Martin-Hansen, L. (2015). Training teachers to use educational technologies in STEM using field experience at a community-based organization. In D. Slykhuis& G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2015 (pp. 3021-3025). Chesapeake, VA: Association for
- Foulger, T.S. (2015). Graphical Assessment of TPACK Instrument (GATI) as a professional development tool. In D. Slykhuis& G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2015 (pp. 3157-3168). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Goldstein, K., Goldstein, L.S., & Lake, V.E. (2003). The impact of field experience on preservice teachers' understandings of caring. Teacher Education Quarterly, 115-132.
- Koehler, M. & Mishra, P. (2008). Introducing TPCK. In AACTE Committee on Innovation and Technology (Eds.). Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK) for educators (pp. 3-29). New York: Routledge.
- Koehler, M., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70.
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2011). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches, 16-31.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2000) Fighting for our lives. Preparing teachers to teach African American students. Journal of Teacher Education (51) 3, May/June 2000.
- Pamuk, S., Ergun, M., Cakir, R., Yilmaz, H.B., & Ayas, C. (2015). Exploring relationships among TPACK components and development of the TPACK instrument. Education and Information Technologies, 20(2), 241-263.
- Roehrig, G.H., & Luft, J.A. (2006). Does one size fit all? The induction experience of beginning science teachers from different teacher preparation programs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43(9), 963-985.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- presentation_3071_48079.pptx (Access with Subscription)