Designing a tool to support teachers with the TPACK framework
Fei Fang, Learning Technologies, College of Education & Human Development, University of Minnesota, United States
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Kona, Hawaii, United States Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
As intended by Mishra and Koehler (2006), the TPACK framework has values in supporting teachers in teaching practices. However, it has been used primarily for teacher educators and researchers. Answering the call for a broader use of the TPACK framework (Brantley-dias & Ertmer, 2013), this work describes an in-progress project to design a tool that uses TPACK framework to support teachers in teaching practices. The tool supports teachers’ metacognition and self-evaluation with a checklist and an embedded assessment. Building on two highly complementary instruments, the checklist covers both understandings of the framework and teaching artifact analysis. Especially, the checklist’s use in teaching practices brings context-specific environment, which is considered valuable for relieving many critics on the two instruments. The embedded assessment presents graphic visualizations and tracks progresses for individual teaching practices. Restrictions are also discussed.
Fang, F. (2015). Designing a tool to support teachers with the TPACK framework. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 1079-1084). Kona, Hawaii, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/152130/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abbitt, J.T. (2011). Measuring Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge in Preservice Teacher Education: A Review of Current Methods and Instruments. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43(4), 281–300.
- Archambault, L., & Crippen, K. (2009). Examining TPACK among K-12 online distance educators in the United States. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9, 71–88.
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers and Education, 55(4), 1656–1662.
- Bransford, J., Brown, A., & Cocking, R. (1999). How people learn: brain, mind, experience, and school. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Cross, N. (2006). Designerly ways of knowing. London: Springer.
- Doering, A., Scharber, C., & Miller, C. (2009). GeoThentic: Designing and Assessing With Technology, Pedagogy, and Content Knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(3), 316– 336.
- Doering, A., Veletsianos, G., Scharber, C., & Miller, C. (2009). Using the Technological, Pedagogical, and Content Knowledge Framework to Design Online Learning Environments and Professional Development. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 41(3), 319–346.
- Graham, C.R. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 57(3), 1953–1960.
- Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2010). Testing a TPACK-Based Technology Integration Assessment Rubric. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3833–3840). Chesapeake, VA
- Kennedy, J. (2015). Using TPCK as a scaffold to self-assess the novice online teaching experience. Distance Education, (March), 1–7.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2005). Teachers learning technology by design. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 21(3), 94–102.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9, 60–70.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): The Development and Validation of an Assessment Instrument for Preservice Teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123–149.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those Who Understand: Knowledge Growth in Teaching. Educational Researcher.
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57(1), 1–21.
- Voogt, J., Fisser, P., Pareja Roblin, N., Tondeur, J., & Van Braak, J. (2013). Technological pedagogical content knowledge-A review of the literature. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(2), 109–121.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Kam Ling Lao, Open University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (Mar 21, 2016) pp. 1450–1453
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.