Exploring an Experienced Online Instructor’s Applications of TPACK in a Graduate-level Online Course Through the Online Students’ Perspectives: Design of a Qualitative Case Study
Fan Ouyang, University of Minnesota, United States
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada ISBN 978-1-939797-16-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
This paper reported the design of a case study using qualitative methods - participant observation and online focus group interview to examine an experienced online instructor’s applications of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) in a graduate-level online course. Firstly, this paper described the evolvement of TPACK in which this study was grounded, and presented a review of relevant literature focused on addressing practical issues of TPACK measurement and teachers’ professional development. In addition, this paper proposed an initial design of a qualitative case study to examine an experienced online instructor’s applications of TPACK in an online course. The research design included research questions, rationale for the choice of the setting and participants, research procedure design, data collection design, analysis strategies, and validity and reliability. Finally, the article concluded with limitations, future research, and implications of this case study.
Ouyang, F. (2015). Exploring an Experienced Online Instructor’s Applications of TPACK in a Graduate-level Online Course Through the Online Students’ Perspectives: Design of a Qualitative Case Study. In S. Carliner, C. Fulford & N. Ostashewski (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2015--World Conference on Educational Media and Technology (pp. 291-299). Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/151296/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Allen, I.E., & Seaman, J. (2014). Grade Change: Tracking Online Education in the United States. Babson Survey Research Group and Quahog Research Group, LLC. Retrieved from http://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/gradechange.pdf
- Benson, S.K., & Ward, C.L. (2013). Teaching with technology: Using TPACK to understand teaching expertise in online higher education. J. Educational Computing Research, 48(2), 153-172.
- Doering, A., Scharber, C., Miller, C., & Veletsianos, G. (2009). GeoThentic: Designing and assessing with technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial], 9(3), 316-336. Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/articles/v9i3socialstudies1.pdf
- Groth, R., Spickler, D., Bergner, J., & Bardzell, M. (2009). A qualitative approach to assessing technological pedagogical content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(4), 392-411.
- Guzey, S.S., & Roehrig, G.H. (2009). Teaching science with technology: Case studies of science teachers’ development of technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial], 9(1). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss1/science/article1.cfm
- Hammond, T.C., & Manfra, M.M. (2009). Giving, prompting, making: Aligning technology and pedagogy within TPACK for social studies instruction. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial], 9(2). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss2/socialstudies/article1.cfm
- Handal, B., Campbell, C., Cavanagh, M., Petocz, P., & Kelly, N. (2013). Technological pedagogical content knowledge of secondary mathematics teachers. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial], 13(1). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol13/iss1/mathematics/article1.cfm
- Hatten, J., Christensen, L., Liu, K., Goldstone, L. & Thurlow, M. (2014). Elements of Successful Online Asynchronous Text-Based Discussions. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning inCorporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014 (pp. 803-809). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Jaschik, S., & Lederman, D. (2013). The 2013 Inside Higher Ed Survey of Faculty Attitudes on Technology, conducted by Gallup. Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved from https://commission.fiu.edu/helpful-documents/onlineeducation/12-ihe-survey-faculty-attitudes-on-technology-2013.pdf
- Jimoyiannis, A. (2010). Designing and implementing an integrated technological pedagogical science knowledge framework for science teachers professional development. Computers& Education, 55(3), 1259-1269.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2005). Teachers learning technology by design. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 21(3), 94–102.
- Koehler M. & Mishra P. (2008). Introducing TPCK. Handbook of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPCK) for educators (eds AACTE Committee on Innovation and Technology), pp. 3–29. Routledge, NewYork.
- Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., & Cain, W. (2013). What is Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)? Journal of Education, 193(3), 13-19.
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2011). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. In R.N. Ronau, C.R. Rakes, & M.L. Niess (Eds.), Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches (pp.16–31). Information Science Reference, Hershey, PA.
- Lee, C.J., & Kim, C. (2014). An implementation study of a TPACK-based instructional design model in a technology integration course. Education Tech Research Dev, 62, 437–460.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for integrating technology in teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Niess, M.L., Ronau, R.N., Shafer, K.G., Driskell, S.O., Harper S.R., Johnston, C., Browning, C., Özgün-Koca, S.A., & Kersaint, G. (2009). Mathematics teacher TPACK standards and development model. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial] , 9 (1). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss1/mathematics/article1.cfm
- Patton, M.Q. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Shulman, L. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Voogt, J., Fisser, P., Pareja Roblin, N., Tondeur, T.J., & Braakt, J.V. (2013). Technological pedagogical content knowledge-a review of the literature. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(2), 109-121.
- Yin, R.K. (2009). Case study research: Design and methods (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.-299-EdMedia 2015-Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 22-24, 2015
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
- Presentation.pdf (Access with Subscription)