International Journal on E-Learning Volume 17, Number 3, ISSN 1537-2456 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
The use of online courses in counselor education is becoming more prevalent. Online education has become a popular topic for research and many articles have outlined the benefits to students, instructors, and institutions for adopting this delivery system. Some evidence exists for the use of online counseling skills courses, with assessment of counseling skills measured by objective third parties. What has not been examined is the personal assessment of counseling skills by students themselves. This article examines the impact of an online counseling skills course by assessing the self-perceptions of students. A survey of counseling skills was given to students at the beginning and conclusion of an online counseling skills course. Results indicated a significant improvement in self-assessments of counseling skills at the end of the course.
Dietrich, D. & Bowers, C. (2018). Influence of an Online Counseling Skills Course On Student Perceptions of Counseling Skills. International Journal on E-Learning, 17(3), 325-339. Waynesville, NC USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150831/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Allen, I.E. & Seaman, J. (2013). Changing course: Ten years of tracking online education in the United States. Babson Survey Research Group and Quahog Research Group, LLC.
- Argosy University. (2007). Practicum Handbook. Retrieved from http://argosyf.tripod.com/0708PracHandbook.pdf. Beqiri, M.S., Chase, N.M., & Bishka, A. (2010). Online course delivery: An empirical investigation affecting student satisfaction. Journal of Education for Business, 85, pp. 95-100.
- Bognar, R.G., Horrocks, S.L., Lanni Manley, E.J., & Denig, S.J. (2012). Educating counselors: A constructivist approach to the development of core counseling skills.International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(2), pp. 1-8.
- Boylan, J.C. & Scott, J. (2008). Practicum and internship: Textbook and resource guide for counseling and psychotherapy (4th Ed.). Routledge: New York.
- Braun, T. (2008). Making a choice: The perceptions and attitudes of online graduate students. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 16(1), 63-92.
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. (2009). CACREP accreditation manual: 2009 standards. Alexandria, VA: Author. Digest of Education Statistics (N.D.). Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d14/tables/dt14_311.15.asp Ekong, J.I. (2006). What factors facilitate online counselor training? Experiences of Campus Alberta graduate students. Journal of Distance Education, 21(1), 1-14.
- Fuqua, D.R., Johnson, A.W., Newman, J.L., Anderson, M.W., & Gade, E.M. (1984). Variability across sources of performance ratings. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 31, 2, 249-252.
- Fuqua, D.R., Newman, J.L., Scott, T.B., & Gade, E.M. (1984). Variability across sources of performance ratings: Further evidence. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 33, 3, 353-356.
- Gillingham, P. (2009). Ghosts in the machine: Student participation and grade attainment in a web-assisted social work course. Social Work Education: 28:4. Pp. 423-435.
- Hill, C.E. & Corbett, M.M. (1993). A perspective on the history of process and outcome research in counseling psychology. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 40, 3-24.
- Hill, C.E. & Lent, R.W. (2006). A narrative and meta-analytic review of helping skills training: Time to revive a dormant area of inquiry. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 43:2, pp. 154-172.
- Hohenshil, T.H. (2000). High tech counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 78:3, pp. 365-368.
- Ivey, A.E. & Ivey, M.B. (2003). Intentional interviewing and counseling: Facilitating client development in a multicultural society. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks-Cole Thomsen Learning.
- Kruger, J. & Dunning, D. (1999). Unskilled and unaware of it: How difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77(6), pp. 1121-1134.
- Layne, C.M., & Hohenshil, T.H. (2005). High tech counseling: Revisited. Journal of Counseling and Development, 83:2, pp. 222-226.
- Little, C., Packman, J., Smaby, M.H., Maddox, C.D. (2005). The skilled counselor training model: Skills acquisition, self assessment, and cognitive complexity. Counselor Education and Supervision, 44(3), pp. 189-200.
- Lundberg, D.J. (2000). Integrating on-line technology into counseling curricula: Emerging humanistic factors. Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development, 38:3, 142-151.
- Regan, J.A.R.C., & Youn, E.J. (2008). Past, present, and future trends in teaching clinical skills through web-based learning environments. Journal of Social Work Education, 44:2, pp. 95-115.
- Sells, J., Tan, A., Brogan, J., Dahlen, U., & Stupert, Y. (2011). Preparing international counselor educators through online distance educating. International Journal of Advanced Counseling, 34, pp. 39-54.
- Simons, D.J. (2013). Unskilled and optimistic: Overconfident predictions despite calibrated knowledge of relative skill. Psychonomic Bulletin& Review, 20(3), pp. 601-607.
- University of Maryland. (2009). Field experience manual for practicum and internship: Rehabilitation counselor training program. Retrieved from http://www.learningace.com/doc/1048035/298e365f051d7b241f0f2a18ecec45d3/ Internship-manual-revised-06-24-09-1.
- University of Scranton. (2009). Internship manual: School counseling program. Retrieved from: http://www.scranton.edu/academics/pcps/counseling/PDF/ School%20Counseling%20Internship%20Manual%202009-2010.pdf.
- Weiten, W. (2008). Psychology: Themes and variations (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Inc.
- Winston-Salem State University (2008). Practicum and internship handbook. Retrieved from http://www.wssu.edu/academics/distance-learning/online/ Rehabilitation-counseling/WSSU-Rehabilitation-Counseling-PracticumManual.pdf.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.