A performance assessment of teachers’ TPACK using artifacts from digital portfolios PROCEEDINGS
Joshua Rosenberg, Spencer Greenhalgh, Matthew Koehler, Michigan State University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Researchers have employed many different methods of measuring teachers’ Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK). Existing measures of TPACK have typically focused on teachers’ self-report of their understanding, and relatively few approaches directly measure teacher performances. Moreover, to date, no performance assessments of teachers’ TPACK have used teachers’ digital portfolios or the work samples (or artifacts) included in teachers’ portfolios. In this paper, we build on our initial attempt (Koehler, Rosenberg, Greenhalgh, Zellner, & Mishra, 2014) to test the validity and reliability of a performance assessment of the TPACK present in teachers’ portfolio artifacts by focusing on two specific types of artifacts: Dream IT (a type of grant proposal) and a sustainable technology initiative. We report the reliability of our attempts to code levels of TPACK evident in these artifacts and discuss the development of more robust performance measures of teachers’ TPACK.
Rosenberg, J., Greenhalgh, S. & Koehler, M. (2015). A performance assessment of teachers’ TPACK using artifacts from digital portfolios. In D. Rutledge & D. Slykhuis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2015--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3390-3397). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 17, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150472/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abbitt, J.T. (2011). Measuring technological pedagogical content knowledge in preservice teacher education: A review of current methods and instruments. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43(4), 281300.
- Akcaoglu, M., Kereluik, K. & Casperson, G. (2011). Refining TPACK rubric through online lesson plans. In M. Koehler& P. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2011 (pp. 4260-4264). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Archambault, L., & Crippen, K. (2009). Examining TPACK among K-12 online distance educators in the United States. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 71-88.
- Britten, J.S., & Cassady, J.C. (2005). The Technology Integration Assessment Instrument: Understanding planned use of technology by classroom teachers. Computers in the Schools, 22(3-4), 49-61.
- Creswell, J.W. (2013). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Graham, C.R., Tripp, T., & Wentworth, N. (2009). Assessing and improving technology integration skills for preservice teachers using the teacher work sample. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 41(1), 3962.
- Harris, J., Grandgenett, N., & Hofer, M. (2010). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration assessment rubric. In C. Crawford, D.A. Willis, R. Carlsen, I. Gibson, K. McFerrin, J. Price& R. Weber (Eds.), Proceedings of the Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3833–
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2008). Introducing TPCK. In AACTE Committee on Technology and Innovation (Eds.), Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK) for educators (pp. 3–29). New
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2011). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches, 16-31.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Niess, M., Lee, K., Sadri, P., & Suharwoto, G. (2006). Guiding inservice mathematics teachers in developing a technology pedagogical knowledge (TPCK). Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Porras-Hernández, L.H., & Salinas-Amescua, B. (2013). Strengthening TPACK: A broader notion of context and the use of teacher's narratives to reveal knowledge construction. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 48(2), 223-244.
- Rosenberg, J. & Koehler, M. (2014). Context and Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A content analysis. In M. Searson& M. Ochoa (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2014 (pp. 2412-2417). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 4-14.
- So, H.J., & Kim, B. (2009). Learning about problem based learning: Student teachers integrating technology, pedagogy and content knowledge. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 25(1), 101-116.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sentiment_proceedings.pptx (Access with Subscription)