Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
To better prepare PK-6 pre-service teachers for technology integration in their future classrooms, we reviewed, redesigned and transformed an existing course into a blended course. The revised curriculum aims to reflect pedagogies and instructional technologies designed for a broad range of content areas that are suitable for diverse learners. We also focus on the process of planning and designing instruction to facilitate the use of technology in classrooms. In our presentation, we will talk about the instructional review and redesign process for our course. We will also highlight the primary discussions and decisions involved in our decision-making process. Moreover, we will illustrate the learning strategies we adopted for face-to-face, blended and online environments. We will also share the best practices learned, challenges encountered, and provide student feedback, as well as plans for further developing, implementing and improving our course in the future.
Jin, Y., Jenner, A., Karakaya, O., Kramer, E. & Schmidt-Crawford, D. (2015). Dive into Content Areas: Instructional Review and Redesign of A Blended Technology Integration Course for PK-6 Pre-service Teachers. In D. Rutledge & D. Slykhuis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2015--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3276-3281). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved December 18, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150452/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Foulger, T.S., Buss, R.R., Wetzel, K., & Lindsey, L. (2012). Pre-service teacher education benchmarking a standalone ed tech course in preparation for change. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 29(2), 48-58.
- Graham, C.R. (2006). Blended learning systems: Definition, current trends, and future directions. In C.J. Bonk& C.R. Graham (Eds.), Handbook of blended learning: Global perspectives, local designs (pp. 3-21). San
- Gronseth, S., Brush, T., Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A., Strycker, J., Abaci, S., Easterling, W., & Leusen, P.V. (2010). Equipping the next generation of teachers: Technology preparation and practice. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 27(1), 30-36.
- Hammond, T.C., & Manfra, M.M. (2009). Giving, prompting, making: Aligning technology and pedagogy within TPACK for social studies instruction. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education [Online serial], 9(2). Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss2/socialstudies/article1.cfm Harris, J., & Hofer, M. (2009). Grounded tech integration. Learning and Leading With Technology, 37(2), 22–25.
- Kleiner, B., Thomas, N., & Lewis, L. (2007). Educational technology in teacher education programs for initial licensure. Statistical Analysis Report. NCES 2008-040. National Center for Education Statistics.
- Lee, S.O., & Lee, C.H. (2013). A case study on the effects of an L2 writing instructional model for blended learning in higher education. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology,12(4), 1-10.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Osguthorpe, R.T., & Graham, C.R. (2003). Blended learning environments: Definitions and directions. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 4(3), 227-233.
- Pierson, M., & Thompson, M. (2005). There-envisioned educational technology course: If addition isn’t possible, try division. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 22(1), 31–36.
- Schmidt, D., Harris, J., & Hofer, M. (2011, February). K-6 literacy learning activity types. Retrieved from College of William and Mary, School of Education, Learning Activity Types Wiki: http://activitytypes.wm.edu/K DASHDASH
- Shapely, K.S., Benner, A.D., Pieper, A.M., Way, P.J., Snider, S.L., & Gershner, V.T. (2003, April). Integrating technology into teacher education: Navigating the complexity of institutional change. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL. Retrieved from http://shapleyresearch.com/docs/Integrating%20Technology%20in%20Teacher%20Education.pdf Tonduer, J., van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers& Education, 59(1) 134–144.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.