Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This presentation highlights the evaluation of a model for training credentialed teachers to use educational technologies in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The model includes a 3-unit summer university course with a field experience project at a community-based organization. Teachers worked in teams of four to plan a set of four 2-hour workshops for youth in the organization. Data sources included questionnaires at the beginning and end of the course that included a TPACK survey plus an end-of-course interview. A total of 17 teachers participated in the course and 12 agreed to participate in the study. There were statistically significant increases in the mean scores related to Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK), Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK), and Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK), as well as in individual items of other categories. We will report on analyses of complementary interview data.
Adams, S., Bernal, E., Cole-Jackson, M. & Martin-Hansen, L. (2015). Training Teachers to Use Educational Technologies in STEM Using Field Experience at a Community Based Organization. In D. Rutledge & D. Slykhuis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2015--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 3021-3025). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 24, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150425/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Adams, S. (2005). A strategy for technology training as part of a Master's program conducted at a school site. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. 13 (3), pp. 493-514. Norfolk, VA: AACE.
- Adams, S. (2013). A field test of a model for training teachers to use technology in mathematics and science teaching. In Edulearn 13 Proceedings: The 5th Annual International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (P. 1069).
- Barker, B., Nugent, G., & Grandgenett, N. (2014). Examining fidelity of program implementation in a STEM-oriented out-ofschool setting. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 24(1), 39-52. Doi:10.1007/s10798-013-9245-9
- Blank, R.K. (2012). What is the impact of decline in science instructional time in elementary School. Noyce Foundation. Available at: www.csss-science.org/downloads/NAEPElemScienceData. Pdf.
- Brossard, D., Lewenstein, B., & Bonney, R. (2005). Scientific knowledge and attitude change: The impact of a citizen science project. International Journal of Science Education, 27(9), 1099-1121.
- Cooper, H., Nye, B., Charlton, K., Lindsay, J., & Greathouse, S. (1996). The effects of summer vacation on achievement test scores: A narrative and meta-analytic review. Review of Educational Research, 66(3), 227-268.
- Goldstein, K., Goldstein, L.S., & Lake, V.E. (2003). The impact of field experience on preservice teachers' understandings of caring. Teacher Education Quarterly, 115-132.
- Koehler, M., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in
- Heyns, B. (1987). Schooling and cognitive development: Is there a season for learning?. Child Development, 1151-1160.
- Koehler, M. & Mishra, P. (2008). Introducing TPCK. In AACTE Committee on Innovation and Technology (Eds.). Handbook of Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70.
- Nadelson, L.S., Callahan, J., Pyke, P., Hay, A., Dance, M., & Pfiester, J. (2013). Teacher STEM perception and preparation: Inquiry-based STEM professional development for elementary teachers. Journal of Educational Research, 106(2), 157-168.
- Roehrig, G.H., & Luft, J.A. (2006). Does one size fit all? The induction experience of beginning science teachers from different teacher preparation programs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43(9), 963-985.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evaluating a Program of Teacher Training in Educational Technology and STEM Using Two Measures of TPACK
Stephen Adams & Elaine Bernal, California State University, Long Beach, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (Mar 21, 2016) pp. 2783–2789
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.