Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
As part of a larger mixed methods study, this paper is reporting on the TPACK development of twelve graduate students enrolled in a teaching methods distance learning course at a large southwestern university in Texas. The TPACK survey was administered at the beginning of the course as a pre-test and at the end of the course as a post-test to measure self-reported beliefs regarding development of teacher knowledge as defined by the TPACK construct. Statistical analysis using Wilcoxon rank test in SPSS showed statistically significant gains in individual survey items related to PK, TCK, TPK, and TPCK. Implications related to the measurable development of TPACK within a 15-week distance learning methods course are discussed.
Lee, K.S., Hao, Y. & Smith, S. (2015). TPACK Growth at a Distance. In D. Rutledge & D. Slykhuis (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2015--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 382-387). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/150020/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Albion, P. (2012). Designing for explicit TPACK development: Evolution of a pre-service design and technology International Conference 2012 (pp. 2680-2685). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of
- Albion, P., & Ertmer, P.A. (2002). Beyond the foundations: The role of vision and belief in teachers’ preparation for integration of technology. TechTrends, 46(5), 34–38.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization,-385-SITE 2015-Las Vegas, NV, United States, March 1-6, 2015 development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52(1), 154-168.
- Becker, H.J. (1994). How exemplary computer-using teachers differ from other teachers: Implications for realizing the potential of computers in schools. Journal of Research on Computing in Education, 26, 291–321.
- Belland, B.R. (2009). Using the theory of habitus to move beyond the study of barriers to technology integration. Computers& Education, 52(2), 353-364. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2008.09.004
- Block, J.H., & Hazelip, K. (1995). Teachers’ beliefs and belief systems. In L.W. Anderson (Ed.), International encyclopedia of teaching and teacher education (2nd ed., pp. 25–28). New York: Pergammon.
- Bower, M., Hedberg, J.G., & Kuswara, A. (2010). A framework for Web 2.0 learning design. Educational Media International, 47(3), 177-198. Doi:10.1080/09523987.2010.518811
- Brupbacher, L. & Wilson, D. (2009). Developing TPCK (Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge) in teacher Teacher Education International Conference 2009 (pp. 4020-4024). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the
- Funkhouser, B., & Mouza, C. (2013). Drawing on technology: An investigation of pre-service teacher beliefs in the context of an introductory educational technology course. Computers& Education, 62, 271-285.
- Hofer, M. & Harris, J. (2010). Differentiating TPACK development: Using learning activity types with inservice and preservice teachers. In D. Gibson& B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Harris, J., Mishra, P. & Koehler, M. (2009). Teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge and learning activity types: Curriculum-based technology integration reframed. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 41(4), 393-416.
- Isaac, S., & Michael, W.B. (1997). Handbook in research and evaluation: For education and the behavioral
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2005). Teachers learning technology by design. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 21(3), 94-102.
- Lux, N. & Waterton, N. (2012). TPACK intersect: Evidence of pedagogy in preservice teacher activity plans. In P. Conference 2012 (pp. 1968-1973). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108, 1017-1054.
- Osgood, C.E., Suci, G.J., & Tannenbaum, P.H. (1957). The measurement of meaning. Urbana, IL: University of llinois Press.
- Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A.T., Glazewski, K.D., Newby, T.J., & Ertmer, P.A. (2010). Teacher value beliefs associated with using technology: Addressing professional and student needs. Computers& Education, 55(3), 1321-1335.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57, 1-22.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LeeHaoSmithSITE2015Mar4.pdf (Access with Subscription)