Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Jacksonville, Florida, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-07-0 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Mobile devices are more commonplace in PK-12 classrooms (Gawelek, Spataro, & Komarny, 2011; Reid and Ostashewski, 2011). They are more affordable, available educational applications are growing, and teacher candidates need exposure if they are going to successfully use devices in the classroom (Foote, 2010; Johnson, Smith, Willis, Levine, & Haywood, 2011; Quillen, 2011; Schachter & D’Orio, 2011). This presentation examines a study conducted by three faculty using iPads in different classrooms with teacher candidates. One course was a technology integration course required by all candidates, one was specific to early childhood teacher preparation, and a third was science methods. The study provides preparation programs with a better understanding of the comfort levels, self-efficacy, skills, knowledge, and experiences needed by teacher candidates if they are to be prepared to use mobile devices effectively in future classrooms.
Willis, J. & Dodo Seriki, V. (2014). Improving Teacher Candidate Use Of Mobile Technologies Through Classroom Modeling. In M. Searson & M. Ochoa (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2014--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2694-2699). Jacksonville, Florida, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/131195/.
© 2014 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Arce, E. (2013). Curriculum for Young Children. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. Consortium for School Networking (CoSN). (2011). 2011 CoSN Compendium Small Size, Big Potential: Mobile Learning Devices in School.
- Doering, A., Hughes, J., & Huffman, D. (2003). Preservice teachers: Are we thinking with technology? Journal of Computing in Teacher Education, 35(3), 342-361.
- Foote, C. (2010). Checking out the iPad. Multimedia& Internet@Schools, 17(6), 17. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com
- Gawelek, M.A., Spataro, M., & Komarny, P. (2011). Mobile perspectives: On iPads. Why mobile? Publication of EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative website: http://www.educause.edu
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108 (6), 1017-1054.
- Ostashewski, N., Reid, D. & Ostashewski, M. (2011). The iPad as mobile teaching device: multimedia database access in a classroom context. In Proceedings of Global TIME 2011 (pp. 49-53). AACE.
- Quillen, I. (2011). Tablet culture. Digital Directions, 38-41. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com
- Reid, D., & Ostashewski, N. (2011). IPads in the classroom– new technologies, old issues: Are they worth the effort? In T. Bastiaens& M. Ebner (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2011 (pp. 1689-1694). Chesapeake, VA: Association for the
- Texas Education Agency (2010). 2010 Progress Report Long-range plan for technology (2006-2020). Austin, TX: Publications Office, Texas Education Agency.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.