An Introduction to Current Trends and Benefits of Mobile Wireless Technology Use in Higher Education Article
Sang Hyun Kim, Clif Mims, Kerry P. Holmes, The University of Mississippi, United States
AACE Journal Volume 14, Number 1, ISSN 1065-6901 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
The development of mobile wireless technologies has generated a considerable amount of excitement among practitioners and academics because it results in shifting the academic environment from traditional settings to mobile learning (m-learning) settings. Increasing numbers of institutions of higher education offer courses using mobile wireless technologies as alternative teaching and learning tools. However, regardless of such interests in mobile wireless technologies in higher education, there is lack of academic research on the use of mobile wireless technologies in the higher education setting. The purpose of this article is to examine current information on mobile wireless technologies and answer three crucial questions such as (1) What types of mobile wireless technologies are currently being used in higher education? (2) How do mobile wireless technologies access to network resources? (3) What are the benefits of mobile wireless technologies in higher education? Without understanding of these issues, it is virtually impossible to study any subject of mobile wireless technologies in higher education.
Kim, S.H., Mims, C. & Holmes, K.P. (2006). An Introduction to Current Trends and Benefits of Mobile Wireless Technology Use in Higher Education. AACE Journal, 14(1), 77-100. Chesapeake, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved August 17, 2017 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/6158/.
© 2006 AACE
- Anderson , C . (1997) . Enab l ing and shap ing unders tand ing through tu tor ials . In F . Marton , D . Hounsell , & N . Entwistle , (Eds .) , The experience o f learn ing (2nd ed . , pp . 184-197) . Edinburgh , UK: Scottish Academic Press .
- BenMoussa , C . (2003 , April) . Workers on the move: New oppor tun i t ies through mob i le commerce . Paper presented at the UKAIS Conference ,
- Boggs, R. (2002). ECAR study: Trends in wireless communications in higher education, seminar on academic computing. Retrieved November 9, 2005, from https://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/EDU0218.pdf
- Cisco System (2003 , January) . Lou is iana S ta te Un ivers i ty imp lemen ts
- C isco CTE 1400 ser ies con ten t trans forma t ion eng ines . Retrieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .c isco .com /warp /pub l ic /cc /pd /w i tc / c te1400 /prod l i t / lou is_bc .h tm
- Cole , G . (2001 , June) . The classless society . Connec t ics . Re tr ieved November
- Crawford, V., & Vahey, P. (2001). Palm education pioneers program: Round I preliminary evaluation report: SRI International. Retrieved November 9, 2005, from http://www.palmgrants.sri.eom/PEP_R1_Report.pdf
- Market Data Retrieval (2003) . Co l lege techno logy rev iew: 2003-2004 Year .
- Oku , M . (2001 , Ju ly) . H igh- leve l educa t iona l per formance br ings innova- t ions to corpora te cu l ture . Re tr ieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / / www .sw .nec .co . Jp /eng l ish /spec ia l /e_ learn ing / topmess01 .h tm l
- Samuels , S . (2001 , December) . I wanna hold your handheld: ITS explores ways to suppor t PDAs , facu l ty & S taff news . Fyi , 39(8) . Re tr ieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .u iowa .edu /~fy i / issues2001_v39 / 12072001 /pdas .h tm l
- Sims , G . (2002) . UT@2015: A pocket PC experience . Educause Quar ter ly , 2 , 69-72 .
- Swett , C . (2002 , Oc tober) . College students’ use of mobile wireless- internet connec tions becomes more common . Kn igh t R idder Tr ibune Bus iness News , Washington , DC .
- Tao , E . (2003 , Ju ly) . W ire less ne twork dep loymen t and i ts impac ts on teach ing and learn ing—a case s tudy of Ca l iforn ia S ta te Un ivers i ty Mon terey Bay . Proceed ings o f Sy l labus , San Jose Marriott , Stanford Un ivers i ty .
- Trifonova , A . (2003) . Mob ile learn ing—rev iew of the l iterature. (Technology
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.