E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Las Vegas, NV, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-35-3 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
Flexible learning environments usually refer to distance education programs; however, competency-based programs have become more popular. These programs fit a departmental goal of providing opportunities specifically designed for teaching theory with other opportunities designed to provide practical experiences. The practical experiences allow students to apply the skills and knowledge learned through the content presentation. One superintendent preparation program was rewritten with a competency-based approach. This paper will discuss how the curriculum and instructional strategies provide a 50/50 presentation of theory and practice.
Agan, T., Livengood, K. & Self, R. (2018). Theory and Practice in Flexible Learning Environments. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 1331-1336). Las Vegas, NV, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 16, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/185099/.
© 2018 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Anderson, S., Hsu, Y., & Kinney, J. (2016). Using importance-performance analysis to guide instructional design of experiential learning activities. Online Learning, 20(4), 187-200.
- Appana, S. (2008). A review of benefits and limitations of online learning in the context of the student, the instructor, and the tenured faculty. International Journal on E-Learning, 7(1), 5-22.
- Banta, T. (2001). Assessing competence in higher education. In C. Palomba & T. Banta, Assessing student competence in accredited disciplines: Pioneering approaches to assessment in higher education (pp. 1-12).
- Broadbent, J. & Poon, W.L. (2015). Self-regulated learning strategies and academic achievement in online higher education learning environments: A systemic review. The Internet and Higher Education, 27, 1-13.
- Curry, L., & Docherty, M. (2017). Implementing competency-based education. Collected Essays on Teaching and Learning, 10, 61-73.
- Erickson, M.J., & Larwin, K.H. (2016). The potential impact of online/distance education for students with disabilities in higher education. International Journal of Evaluation and Research in Education, 5(1), 7681.
- Jacobsen, M. (2015). Weber State, UVU to introduce program awarding college credit for work experience. Deseret News. Retrieved from http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865631933/Weber-State-UVU-tointroduceprogram-awarding-college-credit-for-workexperience.html?pg=all
- Jones, E., & Voorhees, R.A. (2002). Defining and assessing learning: Exploring competency-based initiatives. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.
- Knowles, M. (1984). Andragogy in Action. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Kolb, A.Y., & Kolb, D.A. (2005). Learning styles and learning spaces: Enhancing experiential learning in higher education. Academy of Management learning and Education, 4(2), 193-212.
- Marine, S. (2017). Building the competencies into graduate study: Translating theory into practice. Retrieved from https://www.naspa.org/constituent-groups/posts/building-the-competencies-into-graduate-study
- Macharia, J.K., & Pelser, T.G. (2012). Key factors that influence the diffusion and infusion of information and communication technologies in Kenya higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 39(4), 1-15.
- Ott, M., Baca, E., Cisneros, J. & Bates, E. (2014). A competency-based approach to the master’s degree preparation of higher education professionals. Journal of Case Studies in Accreditation and Assessment, 4, 1-19.
- Park, Y., & Bonk, C.J. (2007). Is online life a breeze? A case study for promoting synchronous learning in a blended graduate course. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 3(3).
- Rice University Center for Teaching Excellence. (2018). Course workload estimator. Retrieved from: http://cte.rice.edu/workload/
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). (2016). Direct assessment competency-based educational programs [policy statement]. Retreived from: (http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/DirectAssessmentCompetencyBased.pdf
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. (2018). Distance education policy, procedures, and forms. Retrieved from: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=A5A152AC-D29D-334F-872625E9E77B3B37
- Walters, G. (2016). Developing competency-based advising practices in response to paradigm shifts in higher education. NACADA Journal, 36(1), 66-79.
- Winkelmes, M., Bowles-Terry, M., Granoutsos, D., and Humphreys, K. (2016, June). Transparent assignments enhance students’ success. Keynote Address at Online Learning Consortium, Orlando, FL.
- Wood, D., Bruner, J.S., & Ross, G (1976). The role of tutoring in problem solving. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 17(2), 89-100.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.