Analysing the Importance-Competence Gap of Distance Educators With the Increased Utilisation of Online Learning Strategies in a Developing World Context
Adéle Bezuidenhout, University of South Africa
IRRODL Volume 19, Number 3, ISSN 1492-3831 Publisher: Athabasca University Press
The competence of distance educators has a significant impact on learners’ success. The paradigm shift for universities to become distance and electronic learning environments justifies the urgency to address competency gaps in distance educators’ competencies efficiently. From a strategic human resource development perspective, the systems theory is used to explain the idea of maximising outputs with the minimum inputs (Biddle, 1986). In this study, distance educators at Unisa reflected on their experienced competency gaps. Where previous studies mainly focus on the size of the gaps, the aim of this article is to highlight the competency gaps likely to have the biggest impact. For this study, we used stratified non-probability sampling, and selected 407 academics who were, at the time of the study, permanently employed at a mega ODL university in South Africa. These academics represented a wide range of colleges, campuses, ages, and genders. The results of this study have implications for capacity building of academic staff in developing world contexts and other contexts where resources are scarce.
Bezuidenhout, A. (2018). Analysing the Importance-Competence Gap of Distance Educators With the Increased Utilisation of Online Learning Strategies in a Developing World Context. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(3),. Athabasca University Press. Retrieved January 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/184542/.
- Arinto, P.B. (2013). A framework for developing competencies in open and distance learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 4(1), 167185.
- Biddle, B.J. (1986). Recent developments in role theory. Annual Review of Sociology, 12, 67-92.
- CommonWealth of Learning and Asian Development Bank. (1999). Learner support in open and distance learning: Training toolkit. Retrieved from https://www.col.org/resources/learnersupport-open-and-distance-learning-training-toolkit
- Davis, A., Jansen van Rensburg, M., & Venter, P. (2016). The impact of managerialism on the strategy work of university middle managers. Studies in Higher Education 41(8), 1480-1494.
- Markus, L., Cooper-Thomas, H., & Allpress, K. (2005). Confounded by competencies? An evaluation of the evolution and use of competency models. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 34(2), 117-127. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.468.9642&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Martilla, J.A., & James, J.C. (1977). Performance Analysis. Journal of Marketing, 41(1), 77-79.
- McClelland, D.C., & Boyatzis, R.E. (1980). Opportunities for counsellors from the competency assessment movement. Personnel and Guidance Journal, 368-372. Doi.org/
- Panda, S., & Mishra, S. (2007). E-Learning in a mega open university: Faculty attitude, barriers, and motivators. Educational Media International, 14(1), 324-338.
- Saunders, M.L., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students (5th ed.). Harlow, England: Prentice Hall.
- Schouteden, W., Verburgh, A., & Elen, J. (2016). Teachers' general and contextualised research conceptions. Studies in Higher Education, 41(1), 79-94.
- Seale, O., & Cross, M. (2016). Leading and managing in complexity: the case of South African deans. Studies in Higher Education, 41(8), 1514-1532.
- Siemens, G. (2008). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for educators and designers. Retrieved from http://www.ingedewaard.net/papers/connectivism
- Unisa. (2007). Unisa policy on research ethics. Retrieved from http://www.unisa.ac.za/contents/research/docs/ResearchEthicsPolicy_apprvCounc_21Sept07.pdf
- 280Analysing the Importance-Competence Gap of Distance Educators With the Increased Utilisation of Online Learning Strategies BezuidenhoutUnisa. (2016). Research and innovation report@ Unisa. Retrieved from http://www.unisa.ac.za/static/corporate_web/Content/Research%20&%20innovation/ReseaRch%20reports/2016/unisa-research-report2016.pdf
- Varvel, V. (2007). Master online teacher competences. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration 10(1). Retrieved from http://www.westga.edu/~
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.