Open Educational Practices in Australia: A First-phase National Audit of Higher Education
Adrian Stagg, Linh Nguyen, University of Southern Queensland, Australia ; Carina Bossu, University of Tasmania ; Helen Partridge, University of Southern Queensland ; Johanna Funk, Charles Darwin University ; Kate Judith, University of Southern Queensland
IRRODL Volume 19, Number 3, ISSN 1492-3831 Publisher: Athabasca University Press
For fifteen years, Australian Higher Education has engaged with the openness agenda primarily through the lens of open-access research. Open educational practice (OEP), by contrast, has not been explicitly supported by federal government initiatives, funding, or policy. This has led to an environment that is disconnected, with isolated examples of good practice that have not been transferred beyond local contexts.This paper represents first-phase research in identifying the current state of OEP in Australian Higher Education. A structured desktop audit of all Australian universities was conducted, based on a range of indicators and criteria established by a review of the literature. The audit collected evidence of engagement with OEP using publicly accessible information via institutional websites. The criteria investigated were strategies and policies, open educational resources (OER), infrastructure tools/platforms, professional development and support, collaboration/partnerships, and funding.Initial findings suggest that the experience of OEP across the sector is diverse, but the underlying infrastructure to support the creation, (re)use, and dissemination of resources is present. Many Australian universities have experimented with, and continue to refine, massive open online course (MOOC) offerings, and there is increasing evidence that institutions now employ specialist positions to support OEP, and MOOCs. Professional development and staff initiatives require further work to build staff capacity sector-wide.This paper provides a contemporary view of sector-wide OEP engagement in Australia—a macro-view that is not well-represented in open research to date. It identifies core areas of capacity that could be further leveraged by a national OEP initiative or by national policy on OEP.
Stagg, A., Nguyen, L., Bossu, C., Partridge, H., Funk, J. & Judith, K. (2018). Open Educational Practices in Australia: A First-phase National Audit of Higher Education. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(3),. Athabasca University Press. Retrieved December 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/184536/.
© 2018 Athabasca University Press
- Africa Nazarene University. (2015). Africa Nazarene University: policy on OER integration into OdeL and campus-based provision. Retrieved from http://www.oerafrica.org/resource/africanazarene-university-policy-oer-integration-odel-and-campus-based-provision
- Conole, G. (2013). Designing for learning in an open world. New York, United States: Springer.
- Conrad, D., Mackintosh, W., McGreal, R., Murphy, A., & Witthaus, G. (2013). Report on the assessment and accreditation of learners using OER. Retrieved from https://auspace.athabascau.ca/bitstream/handle/2149/3471/Assess-AccredOER_2013.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Guo, Y., Zhang, M., Bonk, C., Li, Y. (2015). Chinese faculty members’ open educational resources (OER)
- Janke, T. (1999). Our culture: Our future. Report on Australian Indigenous cultural and intellectual property rights. Retrieved from http://www.terrijanke.com.au/our-culture-our-future
- JISC. (2013). Open education. Retrieved from https://www.jisc.ac.uk/rd/projects/open-education
- Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A. (2014). NMC horizon report: 2014 Higher Education edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from https://www.nmc.org/publication/nmc-horizon-report-2014-higher-education-edition/
- Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A. (2015). NMC horizon report: 2015 Higher Education edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from https://www.nmc.org/publication/nmc-horizon-report-2015-higher-education-edition/
- Judith, K., & Bull, D. (2016). Assessing the potential for openness: a framework for examining courselevel OER implementation in higher education. Education policy analysis archives, 24(42), 1-15.
- Littlejohn, A., & Hood, N. (2017). How educators build knowledge and expand their practice: The case of open education resources. British Journal of Educational Technology, 48(2), 499–510. Doi:10.1111/bjet.12438
- Mamtora, J., Yang, T., & Singh, D. (2015). Open access repositories in the Asia-Oceania region:
- McGreal, R., Anderson, T., & Conrad, D. (2015). Open educational resources in Canada 2015. IRRODL, 16(5).
- Muganda, C., Samzugi, A., & Mallinson, B. (2016). Analytical insights on the position, challenges, and potential for promoting OER in ODeL institutions in Africa. IRRODL, 17(4), 36–49. Doi:
- OEPS. (2016). About OEPS: Open educational practices in Scotland. Retrieved from https://oepscotland.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/oeps-flyer.pdf
- Open Scotland Initiative. (2014, November 11). Scottish open education declaration 1.0. Retrieved from http://declaration.openscot.net/
- Open Society Foundations. (2002). Budapest open access initiative. Retrieved from http://budapestopenaccessinitiative.org
- Paulk, M., Curtis, B., Chrissis, M., & Weber, C. (1993). Capability maturity model for software, version 1.1 (Vol. Technical report CMU/SEI-93-TR-024 ESC-TR-93-177). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University.
- POERUP. (2015). OER in Australia. Retrieved from http://poerup.referata.com/wiki/OER_in_Australia
- Stacey, P. (2013). Government support for open educational resources: Policy, funding, and strategies. International Review of Research in Online and Distributed Learning, 14(2). Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v14i2.1537
- Stagg, A., & Bossu, C. (2016). Educational policy to support the open educational practice: charting the Australian higher education landscape. In P. Blessinger & T. Bliss (Eds.), Open education: 193
- UNESCO. (2016). Study on international collaboration on open educational resources (OER). Retrieved from https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/oer_study_march_2017.pdf
- Universities Australia. (2016). Keep it clever: Policy statement 2016. Retrieved from https://www.universitiesaustralia.edu.au/news/policy-papers/Keep-it-Clever--Policy-Statement2016#.WV7UGO9E7IU
- Universities Canada. (2016). Canadian universities and our digital future. Retrieved from https://www.univcan.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/canadian-universities-and-our-digitalfuture-2015-workshop-report.pdf
- University of Southern Queensland. (2015). Educational experience plan. Retrieved from https://www.usq.edu.au/about-usq/governance-leadership/plans-reports
- University of Southern Queensland. (2016). Annual report 2016. Retrieved from https://www.usq.edu.au/-/media/USQ/About-USQ/About-us/annual-report/Final-2016Annual-Report.ashx?la=en
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.