IRRODL Volume 19, Number 3, ISSN 1492-3831 Publisher: Athabasca University Press
To find out what is needed to speed up the adoption of open sharing and reuse of learning materials and open online courses in publicly funded Dutch institutions of Higher Education, a qualitative research study was conducted in fall 2016. This study examined issues of willingness of educators and management, barriers and enablers of adoption, and the role of institutional and national policy in the adoption of open sharing and reuse of learning materials and online courses. Fifty-five stakeholders (educators, board members, and support staff) in 10 Dutch Higher Education Institutions were interviewed. The main findings of this study are: motivation for sharing and reuse of learning materials for educators and managers is directly related to the ambition to achieve better education for students; sharing and reuse of learning materials is common practice, very diverse and not open accessible for the whole world, and important barriers include lack of awareness of opportunities for open sharing and reuse and lack of time. Based on the findings from the interviews, the last section of this paper presents conclusions and recommendations regarding how Dutch institutions for Higher Education can formulate effective policies to raise awareness, organize adequate support and provide time to experiment.
Schuwer, R. & Janssen, B. (2018). Adoption of Sharing and Reuse of Open Resources by Educators in Higher Education Institutions in the Netherlands: A Qualitative Research of Practices, Motives, and Conditions. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(3),. Athabasca University Press. Retrieved January 17, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/184534/.
- Aldoobie, N. (2015). ADDIE model. American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 5(6), 68-72. Retrieved from http://www.aijcrnet.com/journals/Vol_5_No_6_December_2015/10.pdf
- Allen, I., & Seaman, J. (2016). Opening the textbook: Educational resources in U.S. Higher education, 2015-16. Thornhill: Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from https://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/openingthetextbook2016.pdf
- Belikov, O., & Bodily, R. (2016). Incentives and barriers to OER adoption: A qualitative analysis of faculty perceptions. Open Praxis, 8(3), 235-246.
- Boeije, H. (2008). Analyseren in kwalitatief onderzoek. Denken en doen. Amsterdam: Boom Lemma uitgevers.
- Cox, G., & Trotter, H. (2017). Factors shaping lecturers’ adoption of OER at three South African universities. In C. Hodgkinson-Williams& P.B. Arinto (Eds.), Adoption and impact of OER in the Global South (pp. 287–347).
- Czerniewicz, L., Deacon, A., Walji, S., & Glover, M. (2017). OER in and as MOOCs. In C. Hodgkinson-Williams& P.B. Arinto (Eds.), Adoption and impact of OER in the Global South (pp. 349–
- Hall, B. (2005). Innovation and diffusion. In J. Fagerberg, D. Mowery, & R. Nelson (Eds.), Handbook on innovation (pp. 459-485). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Haywood, J., Connelly, L., Henderikx, P., Weller, M., & Williams, K. (2014). The changing
- Jhangiani, R.S., Pitt, R., Hendricks, C., Key, J., & Lalonde, C. (2016). Exploring faculty use of open
- Nardi, B. (1996). Studying context: A comparison of activity theory, situated action models, and distributed cognition. In B. Nardi (Ed.), Contextual consciousness: activity-theory and human-computer interaction (pp. 69-102). Cambridge, IL: MIT Press.
- OECD. (2014). Measuring Innovation in Education: A New Perspective. Educational research and Innovation Report. OECD Publishing.
- Phalachandra, B., & Abeywardena, I.S. (2016). Open educational resources in the commonwealth 2016. Burnaby, Canada: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/11599/2441
- Richter, T., & Ehlers, U. (2010). Barriers and motivators for using open educational resources in schools. In Open ED 2010 Proceedings (pp. 417-428). Barcelona: UOC, OU, BYU. Retrieved
- Rogers, E.M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.). New York, NY: Free Press.
- Truyen, F., Van Dorp, K., Janssen, B., Rivera, J., Griset, R., & Kuppens, A. (2011). Open educational
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.