Applying Learning Analytics to Explore the Effects of Motivation on Online Students' Reading Behavioral Patterns ARTICLE
Jerry Sun, Che-Tsun Lin, Chien Chou, National Chiao Tung University
IRRODL Volume 19, Number 2, ISSN 1492-3831 Publisher: Athabasca University Press
This study aims to apply a sequential analysis to explore the effect of learning motivation on online reading behavioral patterns. The study\u2019s participants consisted of 160 graduate students who were classified into three group types: low reading duration with low motivation, low reading duration with high motivation, and high reading duration based on a second-order cluster analysis. After performing a sequential analysis, this study reveals that highly motivated students exhibited a relatively serious reading pattern in a multi-tasking learning environment, and that online reading duration was a significant indicator of motivation in taking an online course. Finally, recommendations were provided to instructors and researchers based on the results of the study.
Sun, J., Lin, C.T. & Chou, C. (2018). Applying Learning Analytics to Explore the Effects of Motivation on Online Students' Reading Behavioral Patterns. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(2),. Athabasca University Press. Retrieved October 17, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/183602/.
© 2018 Athabasca University Press
- Agudo-Peregrina, Á. F., Iglesias-Pradas, S., Conde-González, M. Á., & Hernández-García, Á. (2014). Can
- Ann, L.K. (2006). Study design III: Cross-sectional studies. Evidence-Based Dentistry, 2006(7), 24-25.
- Black, E.W., Dawson, K., & Priem, J. (2008). Data for free: Using LMS activity logs to measure community in online courses. The Internet and Higher Education, 11(2), 65-70. Doi:10.1016/J.iheduc.2008.03.002
- Chen, H., Chiang, R.H.L., & Storey, V.C. (2012). Business intelligence and analytics: From big data to big impact. MIS Quarterly, 36(4), 1165-1188.
- Chen, K.C., & Jang, S.J. (2010). Motivation in online learning: Testing a model of self-determination theory. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(4), 741-752.
- Deci, E.L., & Ryan, R.M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York: Plenum Press.
- Eryilmaz, E., Chiu, M.M., Thoms, B., Mary, J., & Kim, R. (2014). Design and evaluation of instructor-based and peer-oriented attention guidance functionalities in an open source anchored discussion system. [Article]. Computers& Education, 71, 303-321.
- Gardner, J.S. (2008). Simultaneous media usage: Effects on attention. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Gil-Flores, J., Torres-Gordillo, J.-J., & Perera-Rodríguez, V.-H. (2012). The role of online reader experience in explaining students’ performance in digital reading. Computers& Education, 59(2), 653-660. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2012.03.014
- Johnson, L., Adams, S., & Cummins, M. (2012). The NMC horizon report: 2012 higher education edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
- Johnson, L., Adams, S., Cummins, M., Estrada, V., Freeman, A., & Ludgate, H. (2013). The NMC horizon
- Liu, C.-C., Cheng, Y.-B., & Huang, C.-W. (2011). The effect of simulation games on the learning of computational problem solving. Computers& Education, 57(3), 1907-1918. Doi:10.1016/J.compedu.2011.04.002
- Liu, Z. (2005). Reading behavior in the digital environment: Changes in reading behavior over the past ten years. Journal of Documentation, 61(6), 700-712.
- Long, P., & Siemens, G. (2011). Penetrating the fog: Analytics in learning and education. EDUCAUSE Review, September/October, 31-40.
- Pellas, N. (2014). The influence of computer self-efficacy, metacognitive self-regulation and self-esteem
- Saadé, R.G., He, X., & Kira, D. (2007). Exploring dimensions to online learning. Computers in Human Behavior, 23(4), 1721-1739.
- Schunk, D.H., Meece, J.L., & Pintrich, P.R. (2013). Motivation in education: Theory, research, and
- Skinner, E., Furrer, C., Marchand, G., & Kindermann, T. (2008). Engagement and disaffection in the classroom: Part of a larger motivational dynamic? Journal of Educational Psychology, 100(4), 765-781.
- Sun, J.C.-Y., Kuo, C.-Y., Hou, H.-T., & Lin, Y.-Y. (2017). Exploring learners' sequential behavioral
- Sun, J.C.-Y., & Rueda, R. (2012). Situational interest, computer self-efficacy and self-regulation: Their
- Tseng, S.-C., & Tsai, C.-C. (2010). Taiwan college students' self-efficacy and motivation of learning in online peer assessment environments. Internet and Higher Education, 13(3), 164-169. Doi:10.1016/J.iheduc.2010.01.001226
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.