User Centred e-learning, opportunities and challenges: a literature review PROCEEDING
Sonica Katoch, Vivian Doan, Nastaran Dadashi, George Brown College, Canada
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada ISBN 978-1-939797-31-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
This paper aims to explore the role of online learning in supporting Essential Employability Skills (EES) and Vocational Learning Outcomes (VLO) for education in design The present paper describe the first phase of a recently funded project at George Brown College, Ontario and aims to review the current literature surrounding design education, soft skills for the workplace, online learning, and the interplay between these three areas of interest The objectives of the present paper are to explore: 1- the role of soft skills in design education;2- the role of videos in education and if they allow students to practice soft skills; 3- the growth of both online learning and the design industry; and 4- the current state of the art in e-learning within design education
Katoch, S., Doan, V. & Dadashi, N. (2017). User Centred e-learning, opportunities and challenges: a literature review. In J. Dron & S. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 933-942). Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 16, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/181288/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Aimao, Z., & Spiteri, L. (2012). Cooperative Learning and Soft Skills Training in an IT Course. Journal Of Information Technology Education, 1165-79.
- Akar, E., Turhan, S., Ozgen, D., Coskun, A., & Oraklibel, R.D. (2012). Online Studio in the Industrial Design Education: The Implications of Kibis as the Organizational Communication and Knowledge Management System. Procedia-Social And Behavioral Sciences, 47(Cyprus International Conference on Educational Research (CY-ICER-2012) North Cyprus, US08-10 February 2012), 771-775.
- Bowers, J., & Kumar, P. (2015). Students' Perceptions of Teaching and Social Presence: A Comparative Analysis of Face-to-Face and Online Learning Environments. International Journal Of Web-Based Learning And Teaching Technologies, (1),
- Brame, C.J. (2015). Effective educational videos. Retrieved from https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-subpages/effective-educational-videos/
- Bridgstock, R. (2013). Professional Capabilities for Twenty-First Century Creative Careers: Lessons from Outstandingly Successful Australian Artists and Designers. International Journal Of Art& Design Education, 32(2), 176-189.
- Buzzetto-More, N.A. (2014). An examination of undergraduate student's perceptions and predilections of the use of YouTube in the teaching and learning process. Interdisciplinary Journal Of E-Learning And Learning Objects, 17.
- Caruth, G.D., & Caruth, D.L. (2013). Distance Education in the United States: From Correspondence Courses to the Internet. Turkish Online Journal Of Distance Education, 14(2), 141-149.
- Chen, C., & Wu, C. (2015). Effects of different video lecture types on sustained attention, emotion, cognitive load, and learning performance. Computers& Education, 80108-121.
- Dybvik, B. (2008). An Examination of Student Perceptions Of lynda.com Software Tutorial Training. University of Wisconsin-Stout.
- Favreau, A. (2013). 7 In-demand careers in design and planning. Retrieved from https://www.brazen.com/blog/archive/job-search/7-in-demand-careers-in-design-and-planning/-940-E-Learn 2017-Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 17-20, 2017
- Gan, B., Menkhoff, T., & Smith, R. (2015). Enhancing students’ learning process through interactive digital media: New opportunities for collaborative learning. Computers In Human Behavior, 51(Part B), 652-663.
- Gemin, B., Pape, L., Vashaw, L., Watson, J., & Evergreen Education, G. (2015). Keeping Pace with K-12 Digital Learning: An Annual Review of Policy and Practice. Twelfth Edition.
- Grace, R. (2017). Campfire tales: education start-up aims to transform learning: Founded by 3 design educators, Aether Global Learning wants to boost the soft skills and broaden the horizons of tomorrow's workforce. Plastics Engineering, (1), 8.
- Hansch, A., Hillers, L., McConachie, K., Newman,C., Schildhauer, T., & Schmidt, P. (2015). Video and online learning: Critical reflections and findings from the field
- Hommes, M.A., & Vander Molen, H.T. (2012). Effects of a Self-Instruction Communication Skills Training on Skills, Self-Efficacy, Motivation, and Transfer. European Journal Of Open, Distance And E-Learning, (1).
- Linder-VanBerschot, J.A., & Summers, L.L. (2015). Designing instruction in the face of technology transience. Quarterly Review Of Distance Education, (2), 107.
- Park, J.Y. (2011). Design Education Online: Learning Delivery and Evaluation. International Journal Of Art& Design Education, (2), 176.
- Payne, C. (2010). Evaluation of the fall 2009 lynda.com pilot. Retrieved from https://ittraining.iu.edu/lynda/EvaluationOfTheFal2009LyndacomPilot.pdf Pluralsight. (N.D.). About us. Retrieved from https://www.pluralsight.com/about
- Robles, M.M. (2012). Executive perceptions of the top 10 soft skills needed in today’s workplace. Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, 75(4). Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1080569912460400Sakalli,I., & Chung, W. (2015). Design on the MUVE: Synergizing Online Design Education with Multi-User Virtual Environments (MUVE). Turkish Online Journal Of Educational Technology-TOJET, 14(3), 20-31.
- Vorstius Kruijff, P., Huisman-Ebskamp, M., de Vos, M., Jansen, N., & Slappendel, R. (2016). Horizons in Transplantation: Video-Based E-Learning in Communication Skills for Physicians Provides Higher Agreement to Tissue Donation. Transplantation Proceedings, 481867-1874.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.