Investigating the Relationship Between TPACK and the ISTE Standards for Teachers
Issues and Trends in Educational Technology Volume 4, Number 1, Publisher: University of Arizona Libraries
Technology is rapidly changing American classrooms. This has profound implications for teacher preparatory institutions seeking to ready pre-service teachers to thrive in technology-integrated environments. Two frameworks have been developed that aide teacher-educators in designing programs that help pre-service teachers integrate technology during their instruction. The first, titled, Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (Mishra & Koehler, 2006), primarily emphasizes what effective technology integrators know. The second, titled, the National Education Technology Standards for Teachers (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008), primarily emphasizes what effective technology integrators do. To this point, little progress has been made determining if relationships exist between these frameworks. This study explores the existence of a relationship between pre-service teachers\u2019 Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge levels and their technology proficiencies described by the National Education Technology Standards for Teachers.https://dx.doi.org/10.2458/azu_itet_v4i1_desantis
DeSantis, J. (2016). Investigating the Relationship Between TPACK and the ISTE Standards for Teachers. Issues and Trends in Educational Technology, 4(1),. University of Arizona Libraries. Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/180275/.
© 2016 University of Arizona Libraries
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1656-1662.
- Banister, S., & Vannatta-Reinhart, R. (2013). Assessing NETS-T Performance in Teacher Candidates: Exploring the Wayfind Teacher Assessment. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 29(2), 59-65.
- Basham, J., Smeltzer, A., & Pianfetti, E. (2012). An integrated framework used to increase preservice teacher NETS-T ability. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 13(2), 257-276.
- Bate, F.G., Day, L., & Macnish, J. (2013). Conceptualising changes to pre-service teachers’ knowledge of how to best facilitate learning in mathematics: A TPACK inspired initiative. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 38(5), 14-30.
- Brantley-Dias, L., & Ertmer, P.A. (2013). Goldilocks and TPACK: Is the construct “just right?”. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 46(2), 103-128.
- Bull, P., & Cisse, D. (2011, March). TPACK model integration: Preparing preservice teachers to teach with technology. In Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference (Vol. 2011, No. 1, 4291-4296).
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2013). A review of technological pedagogical content knowledge. Educational Technology& Society, 16(2), 31-51.
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., Tsai, C.C., & Tan, L.L.W. (2011). Modeling primary school pre-service teachers’ Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) for meaningful learning with information and communication technology (ICT). Computers& Education, 57(1), 1184-1193.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2012). Powerful teacher education: Lessons from exemplary programs. John Wiley& Sons. Hoboken: NJ.
- DeSantis, J. (2015). Technology-oriented field experience: Readying pre-service teachers to use emerging tools. The Field Experience Journal, 15(1), 2-20.
- Doering, A., Veletsianos, G., Scharber, C., & Miller, C. (2009). Using the technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge framework to design online learning environments and professional development. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 41(3), 319-346.
- Graham, R.C., Burgoyne, N., Cantrell, P., Smith, L., St Clair, L., & Harris, R. (2009). Measuring the TPACK confidence of inservice science teachers. TechTrends, 53(5), 70-79.
- Graham, C.R. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 57(3), 195329
- Habowski, T. & Mouza, C. (2014). Pre-service teachers’ development of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) in the context of a secondary science teacher education program. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 22(4), 471-495. Chesapeake, VA: Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education.
- Harris, J.B., & Hofer, M.J. (2011). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) in action: A descriptive study of secondary teachers’ curriculum-based, technology-related instructional planning. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43(3), 211-229.
- Hofer, M., Grandgenett, N., Harris, J., & Swan, K. (2011). Testing a TPACK-based technology integration observation instrument. In C.D. Maddux (Ed.), Research highlights in technology and teacher education 2011 (pp. 39-46). Chesapeake,
- International Society for Technology in Education. (2014). The ISTE Standards for Teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-T_PDF.pdf
- Jang, S.J., & Chen, K.C. (2010). From PCK to TPACK: Developing a transformative model for pre-service science teachers. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 19(6), 553-564.
- Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., and Freeman, A. (2014). NMC Horizon Report: 2014 K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
- Kleiner, B., Thomas, N., and Lewis, L. (2007). Educational Technology in Teacher Education Programs for Initial Licensure (NCES 2008–040). National Center for Education Statistics, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. Washington, DC.
- Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P., Kereluik, K., Shin, T.S., & Graham, C.R. (2014). The technological pedagogical content knowledge framework. In J.M. Specter, M.D. Merrill, J. Elen, & M.J. Bishop (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology (101–111). New York: Springer.
- Koehler, M.J., Shin, T.S., & Mishra, P. (2012). How do we measure TPACK? Let me count the ways. In R.N. Ronau, C.R. Rakes, & M.L. Niess (Eds.), Educational technology, teacher knowledge, and classroom impact: A research handbook on frameworks and approaches (16–31). Hersey, PA: IGI Global.
- Koh, J.H., & Divaharan, H. (2011). Developing pre-service teachers’ technology integration expertise through the TPACK-developing instructional model. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 44(1), 35-58.
- Lambert, J., & Gong, Y. (2010). 21st century paradigms for pre-service teacher technology preparation. Computers in the Schools, 27(1), 54-70.
- Ling Koh, J.H., Chai, C.S., & Tay, L.Y. (2014). TPACK-in-action: Unpacking the 30 contextual influences of teachers’ construction of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 78, 20-29.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 10171054.
- Mouza, C., Karchmer-Klein, R., Nandakumar, R., Yilmaz Ozden, S., & Hu, L. (2014). Investigating the impact of an integrated approach to the development of preservice teachers’ technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 71, 206-221.
- Sang, G., Valcke, M., Braak, J.V., & Tondeur, J. (2010). Student teachers’ thinking processes and ICT integration: Predictors of prospective teaching behaviors with educational technology. Computers& Education, 54(1), 103-112.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson A.D., Koehler, M.J., Mishra, P. & Shin, T. (2010). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4-14.
- Tai, S.J.D. & Crawford, D. (2014). The impact of field experience in technology integrated classrooms on preservice teachers’ development of TPACK. In M. Searson& M. Ochoa (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference 2014 (2665-2668). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Tondeur, J., van Braak, J., Sang, G., Voogt, J., Fisser, P., & Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A. (2012). Preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology in education: A synthesis of qualitative evidence. Computers& Education, 59(1), 134-144.
- Willis, J. (2012). Adapting the 2008 NETS-T Standards for use in teacher education: Part II. International Journal of Technology in Teaching and Learning, 8(2), 78-97.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.