IJEDICT Volume 12, Number 1, ISSN 1814-0556 Publisher: Open Campus, The University of the West Indies, West Indies
This paper reports a descriptive research study on the integration of ICT and pedagogy in the colleges of the Royal University of Bhutan. It investigates whether ICT is integrated into the pedagogy and, if so, in what way. The study identifies the use of a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) as the key technology, which is used as part of ICT-integrated pedagogy. However, the VLE has been found to be confined to be a platform where sharing of items such as work plans, module descriptors and uploading assignments have been done. The actual interactive teaching/learning via VLE is considerably low. Besides the aforementioned use, only a few of the lecturers are found to be using the VLE for discussion, class tests and quizzes. The concepts and application of learning design or instructional design are confined to a few lecturers. The status of ICT-integrated pedagogy in higher education in Bhutan is at an early stage and is affected by low-speed Internet connectivity and a lack of adequate resources as well as training in ICT-integrated pedagogy. However, lecturers become motivated by the perceived potential of technology.
Choeda, Penjor, T., Dupka, D. & Zander, P.O. (2016). The state of Integration of the Virtual Learning Environment and ICT into the pedagogy of the Royal University of Bhutan: A descriptive study. International Journal of Education and Development using ICT, 12(1),. Open Campus, The University of the West Indies, West Indies. Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/173438/.
- Barker, J. & Gossman,P.(2013).The Learning Impact of a virtual learning environment: Students’views. Teacher Education Advancement Network Journal, 5 (2), 19-38 Betti, E. 1990. Hermeneutics as the general methodology of the Geisteswissenschaften. The Hermeneutical Tradition: From Ast to Ricouer, 159–197.
- Jamtsho, S & Bullen, M. (2007). Distance education in Bhutan: Improving access and quality through ICT use. Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia, 28, 149-161.
- Khalid, S. (2014). Secondary Educational Institution Centered Diffusion of ICT in Rural Bangladesh (PhD Thesis). Aalborg University, Aalborg.
- Kinley, K. (2010). Faculty and students’ awareness and challenges of e-learning in a college of education. Journal of the International Society for Teacher Education, 14, 27-33.
- Kinley. (2015). Professional development through participatory design: An attempt to enhance ICT use for teaching at the Royal University of Bhutan (PhD Thesis). Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark. McGrenere, J. & Moore, G. 2000. Are we all in the same“ bloat”? In Graphics interface, 2000, 187–196.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge-a framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017–1054.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.