Australasian Journal of Educational Technology Volume 29, Number 4, ISSN 0814-673X Publisher: Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education
Technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK) has been one of the steering theoretical concepts widely employed by researchers in order to examine and develop teachers' knowledge of integrating technology into teaching. Existing research on TPACK shows little about in-service secondary school science teachers' TPACK through a quantitative approach. The purposes of this study were to explore TPACK of secondary school science teachers using a new contextualized TPACK model. Associations between in-service teachers' TPACK and other factors were also examined. The TPACK questionnaire was mailed to secondary schools randomly selected across different parts of Taiwan, and return envelopes were provided for completed questionnaires. There were 1292 science teachers from secondary schools for factor analysis. An independent samples t-test was conducted when there were two groups (i.e., gender) to be compared for TPACK. ANOVA was conducted when there were more than two groups (i.e., science teaching experience) compared for TPACK. The results indicated that secondary science teachers' TPACK was statistically significant according to gender and teaching experience. With the consideration of other TPACK sub-components, male science teachers rated their technology knowledge significantly higher than did female teachers. Experienced science teachers tended to rate their content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge in context (PCKCx) significantly higher than did novice science teachers. However, science teachers with less teaching experience tended to rate their technology knowledge and technological content knowledge in context (TPCKCx) significantly higher than did teachers with more teaching experience. The study shows how gender and teaching experience were influential factors for secondary school science teachers' TPACK. The research implications of this study are provided along with suggestions.
Jang, S.J. & Tsai, M.F. (2013). Exploring the TPACK of Taiwanese secondary school science teachers using a new contextualized TPACK model. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 29(4),. Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/148119/.
- Allan, W.C., Erickson, J.L., Brookhouse, P., & Johnson, J.L. (2010). Teacher professional development through a collaborative curriculum project –an example of TPACK in Maine. TechTrends, 54, 36-43.
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52, 154-168.
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1656-1662.
- Barak, M. (2007). Transition from traditional to ICT-enhanced learning environments in undergraduate chemistry courses. Computers& Education, 48(1), 30-43.
- Barnett, J., & Hodson, D. (2001). Pedagogical context knowledge: Toward a fuller understanding of what good science teachers know. Science Education, 85(4), 426-453.
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Facilitating preservice teachers' development of technological, tedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK). Educational Technology& Society, 13(4), 63-73.
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., Tsai, C.-C, & Tan, L.L.W. (2011). Modeling primary school pre-service teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for meaningful learning with information and communication technology (ICT). Computers& Education, 57, 1184-1193.
- Cox, S., & Graham, C.R. (2009). Diagramming TPACK in practice: Using and elaborated model of the TPACK framework to analyze and depict teacher knowledge. TechTrends, 53(5), 60-69.
- Deng, Z. (2007). Transforming the subject matter: Examining the intellectual roots of pedagogical content knowledge. Curriculum Inquiry, 37(3), 279-295.
- Erdogan, A., & Sahin, I. (2010). Relationship between math teacher candidates' technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK) and achievement levels. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 2707-2711.
- Friedrichsen, P.J., Abell, S.K., Pareja, E.M., Brown, P.L., Lankford, D.M., & Volkmann, M.J. (2009). Does teaching experience matter? Examining biology teachers' prior knowledge for teaching in an alternative certification program. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 46, 357-383.
- Graham, C. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 57, 1953-1960.
- Graham, C.R., Burgoyne, N., Cantrell, P., Smith, L., Clair, L.S., & Harris, R. (2009). TPACK development in science teaching: Measuring the TPACK confidence of inservice science teachers. TechTrends, 53, 70-79.
- Grossman, P.L. (1990). The making of a teacher: Teacher knowledge and teacher education. New York: Teacher College Press.
- Guzey, S.S., & Roehrig, G.H. (2009). Teaching science with technology: Case studies of science teachers' development of technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 25-45.
- Hardy, M. (2010). Enhancing preservice mathematics teachers' TPCK. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 29(1), 73-86.
- Harris, J.B., & Hofer, M.J. (2011). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) in action: A descriptive study of secondary teachers' curriculum-based, technology-related instructional planning. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 43, 211-229.
- Hechter, R.P. (2012). Pre-service teachers' maturing perceptions of a TPACK-framed signature pedagogy in science education. Computers in the Schools, 29(1-2), 53-69.
- Jang, S.-J. (2008). Innovations in science teacher education: Effects of integrating technology and teamteaching strategies. Computers& Education, 51(2), 646-659.
- Jang, S.-J. (2009). Exploration of secondary students' creativity by integrating web-based technology into an innovative science curriculum. Computers& Education, 52(1), 247-255.
- Jang, S.-J. (2010). Integrating the interactive whiteboard and peer coaching to develop the TPACK of secondary science teachers. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1744-1751.
- Jang, S.-J. & Chen, K.C. (2010). From PCK to TPACK: Developing a transformative model for preservice science teachers. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 19(6), 553-564.
- Jang, S.-J., & Tsai, M.-F. (2012). Exploring the TPACK of Taiwanese elementary mathematics and science teachers with respect to use of interactive whiteboards. Computers& Education, 59(2), 327338.
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2005). What happens when teachers design educational technology? The development of technological pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 32(2), 131-152.
- Koh, J.H.L., Chai, C.S., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Examining the technological pedagogical content knowledge of Singapore preservice teachers with a large-scale survey. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 26, 563-573.
- LaVelle, L.B., McFarlane A., & Brawn, R. (2003). Knowledge transformation through ICT in science education: A case study in teacher-driven curriculum development. British Journal of Educational Technology, 34(2), 183-199.
- Lee, H., & Hollebrands, K. (2008). Preparing to teach mathematics with technology: An integrated approach to developing technological pedagogical content knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 8(4), 326-341.
- Lee, M.H., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Exploring teachers' perceived self efficacy and technological pedagogical content knowledge with respect to educational use of the worldwide web. Instructional Science, 38, 1-21.
- Lin, T.-C., Tsai, C.-C., Chai, C.-S., & Lee, M.-H. (2013). Identifying science teachers' perceptions of technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK). Journal of Science Education and Technology, 22(3), 325-336.
- Magnusson, S., Krajcik, J., & Borko, H. (1999). Nature, sources and development of pedagogical content knowledge for science teaching. In J. Gess-Newsome & N.G. Lederman (Eds.), Examining pedagogical content knowledge (pp. 95-132). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer.
- Marino, M.T., Sameshima, P., & Beecher, C.C. (2009). Enhancing TPACK with assistive technology: Promoting inclusive practices in preservice teacher education. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(2), 186-207.
- McFarlane, A., & Sakellariou, S. (2002). The role of ICT in science education. Cambridge Journal of Education, 32, 219-232.
- McGrath, J., Karabas, G., & Willis. J. (2011). From TPACK concept to TPACK practice: An analysis of the suitability and usefulness of the concept as a guide in the real world of teacher development. International Journal of Technology in Teaching and Learning, 7(1), 1-23.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record. 108(6), 1017-1054.
- Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.J. (2009).Teachers technology pedagogical content knowledge and learning activity types: Curriculum-based technology integration reframed. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 41(4), 393-416.
- Niess, M.L. (2005). Preparing teachers to teach science and mathematics with technology: Developing a technology pedagogical content knowledge. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21, 509-523.
- Özgün-Koca, S.A., Meagher, M. & Edwards, M.T. (2010). Preservice teachers' emerging TPACK in a technology-rich methods class. The Mathematics Educator, 19, 10-20.
- Rodrigues, S., Marks, A., & Steel, P. (2003). Developing science and ICT pedagogical content knowledge: A model of continuing professional development. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 40, 386-394.
- Rogers, L. (2004). Integrating ICT into science education and the future. In R. Barton (Ed.), Teaching secondary science with ICT (pp. 139-154). Maidenhead, England: Open University Press.
- Sahin, I. (2011). Development of survey of technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK). The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(1), 97-105.
- Schmidt, D.A., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149.
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15, 4-14.
- Shulman, L.S. (1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57, 1-22.
- Sorensen, P., Twidle, J., Childs, A., & Godwin, J. (2007). The use of the internet in science teaching: A longitudinal study of developments in use by student-teachers in England. International Journal of Science Education, 29, 1605-1627.
- Spotts, T.H., Bowman, M.A., & Mertz, C. (1997). Gender and use of instructional technologies: A study of university faculty. Higher Education, 34, 421-436.
- Tamir, P. (1988). Subject matter and related pedagogical knowledge in teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 4, 99-110.
- Trautmann, N.M., & MaKinster, J.G. (2010). Flexibly adaptive professional development in support of teaching science with geospatial technology. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 21(3), 351-370.
- U.S. Department of Education. (2001). Education through technology act of 2001. Retrieved from http://www2.ed.gov/policy/elsec/leg/esea02/pg34.html
- Yuen, A.H.K., & Ma, W.W.K. (2002). Gender differences in teacher computer acceptance. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 10, 365-382.
- Yurdakul, I.K., Odabasi, H.F., Kilicer, K., Coklar, A.N., Birinci, G., Kurt, A.A. (2012). The development, validity and reliability of TPACK-deep: A technological pedagogical content knowledge scale. Computers& Education, 58(3), 964-977.
- Van Driel, J.H., Verloop, N., & De Vos, W. (1998). Developing science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 35(6), 673-695.
- Vekiri, I., & Chronaki, A. (2008). Gender issues in technology use: Perceived social support, computer self-efficacy and value beliefs, and computer use beyond school. Computers& Education, 51(3), 1392-1404.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.