Surveying in-service preschool teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge
Jyh-Chong Liang, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology ; Ching Chai, Joyce Koh, Nanyang Technological University ; Ching-Ju Yang, Chin-Chung Tsai, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
Australasian Journal of Educational Technology Volume 29, Number 4, ISSN 0814-673X Publisher: Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education
Many teachers are reporting that they need to develop more subject-specific applications of educational technology. However, there seems to have been a lack of theoretical frameworks to guide educators in preparing and developing in-service preschool teacher education in the area of educational technology until the recent emergence of the notion of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). This study utilizes the TPACK survey to explore 366 Taiwanese in-service preschool teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge. Exploratory factor analyses of the TPACK survey used in this study yielded six scales: Content knowledge (CK), pedagogical knowledge (PK), pedagogical content knowledge (PCK), technological knowledge (TK), a combined factor of technological pedagogical knowledge and technological content knowledge (TPTCK) and technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK), respectively. The exploratory factor analyses indicated adequate reliability and validity of the TPACK survey. The correlation analyses revealed that more senior preschool teachers might show a certain degree of resistance toward technology-integrated teaching environments. Further analyses also showed that the preschool teachers with higher education qualifications tended to have more knowledge of technology use and ICT integration in their teaching environment.
Liang, J.C., Chai, C., Koh, J., Yang, C.J. & Tsai, C.C. (2013). Surveying in-service preschool teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 29(4),. Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/148117/.
- Al-Senaidi, S., Lin, L., & Poirot, J. (2009). Barriers to adopting technology for teaching and learning in Oman. Computers& Education, 53(3), 575-590. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131509000827
- Angeli, C., & Valanides, N. (2005). Preservice elementary teachers as information and communication technology designers: an instructional systems design model based on an expanded view of pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 21(4), 292–302. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/J.1365-2729.2005.00135.x/abstract;jsessionid=00F8C041D5754E21AD39B43C8C518E34.d04t02?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=fal se
- Angeli, C., & Valanides N. (2009). Epistemological and methodological issues for the conceptualization, development, and assessment of ICT–TPCK: Advances in technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPCK). Computers& Education, 52(1), 154-168. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131508001085
- Archambault, L.M., & Barnett, J.H. (2010). Revisiting technological pedagogical content knowledge: Exploring the TPACK framework. Computers& Education, 55(4), 1656-1662. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131510002010
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Facilitating preservice teachers' development of technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK). Journal of Educational Technology& Society, 13(4), 63-73. Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/13_4/ets_13_4.pdf#page=68
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., & Tsai, C.C. (2011). Exploring the factor structure of the constructs of technological, pedagogical, content knowledge (TPACK). The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 20(3), 607-615. Retrieved from http://ejournals.ph/index.php?journal=TAPER & Page=article & Op=viewFile & Path%5B%5D=3800 & Pa
- Chai, C.S., Koh, J.H.L., Tsai, C.C., & Tan, L. (2011). Modeling primary school pre-service teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for meaningful learning with information and communication technology (ICT). Computers& Education, 57(1), 1184-1193. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131511000157
- Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2010). The second educational revolution: Rethinking education in the age of technology. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 26(1), 18-27. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/J.1365-2729.2009.00339.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisEdMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
- Cox, S., & Graham, C.R. (2009). Diagramming TPACK in practice: Using an elaborated model of the TPACK framework to analyze and depict teacher knowledge. TechTrends: Linking Research& Practice to Improve Learning, 53(5), 60-69. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/p07mkkk777314144/
- Gao, P., Chee, T.S., Wang, L.L., Wong, A., & Choy, D. (2011). Self reflection and preservice teachers' technological pedagogical knowledge: Promoting earlier adoption of student-centred pedagogies. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(6), 997-1013. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet27/gao.pdf
- Graham, C.R. (2011). Theoretical considerations for understanding technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK). Computers& Education, 57(3), 1953-1960. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131511000911
- Grimley, M., & Allan, M. (2010). Towards a pre-teen typology of digital media. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 26(5), 571-584. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet26/grimley.pdf
- Haugland, S.W. (1992). Effects of computer software on early childhood children's developmental gains. Journal of Computing in Childhood Education, 3(1), 15-30.
- Hsu, C.Y., Tsai, C.C., & Liang, J.C. (2011). Facilitating preschoolers' scientific knowledge construction via computer games regarding light and shadow: The effect of the prediction-observation-explanation (POE) strategy. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 20(5), 482-493. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/d211678263528t85/
- Karasavvidis, I. (2009). Activity theory as a conceptual framework for understanding teacher approaches to information and communication technologies. Computers& Education, 53(2), 436-444. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131509000700
- Koehler, M.J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70. Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/vol9/iss1/general/article1.cfm
- Koh, J.H.L., Chai, C.S., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Examining the technological pedagogical content knowledge of Singapore pre-service teachers with a large-scale survey. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 26(6), 563-573. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/J.1365-2729.2010.00372.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisEdMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
- Lee, M.H., & Tsai, C.C. (2010). Exploring teachers' perceived self efficacy and technological pedagogical content knowledge with respect to educational use of the worldwide web. Instructional Science, 38(1), 1–21. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/d510480505435104/
- Li, H. (2006). Integrating information and communication technologies into early childhood curriculum: Chinese principals' views of the challenges and opportunities. Early Education& Development, 17(3), 467-487. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15566935eed1703_7
- Liang, J.C., & Wu, S.H. (2010). Nurses' motivations for web-based continuing learning and the role of internet self-efficacy. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 47(1), 25-37. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14703290903525820
- Liang, J.C., Wu, S.H., & Tsai, C.C. (2011). Nurses' internet self-efficacy and attitudes toward web-based continuing learning. Nurse Education Today, 31(8), 768-773. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0260691710002479
- Lim, C.P., & Chai, C.S. (2008). Teachers' pedagogical beliefs and their planning and conduct of computer-mediated classroom lessons. British Journal of Educational Technology, 39(5), 807-828.
- Liu, S.H. (2011). Factors related to pedagogical beliefs of teachers and technology integration. Computers& Education, 56(4), 1012-1022. Retrieved from http://0-www.sciencedirect.com.millennium.lib.ntust.edu.tw/science/article/pii/S0360131510003507
- Mason, R.B. (2011). Student engagement with, and participation in, an e-forum. Educational Technology& Society, 14(2), 258-268. Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/14_2/22.pdf
- Mishra, P., & Koehler M.J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: a framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. Retrieved from https://tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=12516
- O'Mara, J., & Laidlaw, L. (2011). Living in the iworld: two literacy researchers reflect on the changing texts and literacy practices of childhood. English Teaching-Practice and Critique, 10(4), 149-159.
- Panagiotakou, C., & Pange, J. (2010). The use of ICT in preschool music education. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 3055-3059. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042810005045
- Perry, B., Tracey, D., & Howard, P. (1999). Head mathematics teachers' beliefs about the learning and teaching of mathematics. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 11(1), 39-53. Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/content/j68857722ntq82p4/
- Polly, D., Mims, C., Shepherd, C.E., & Inan, F. (2010). Evidence of impact: transforming teacher education with preparing tomorrow's teachers to teach with technology (PT3) grants. Teaching and Teacher Education, 26, 8 6 3-870. Retrieved from http://0-www.sciencedirect.com.millennium.lib.ntust.edu.tw/science/article/pii/S0742051X09002224
- Schmidt, A.D., Baran, E., Thompson, A.D., Mishra, P., Koehler, M.J., & Shin, T.S. (2009). Technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123-149. Retrieved from http://learnonline.canberra.edu.au/pluginfile.php/491591/mod_page/content/1/TPACK_UC/pdf/tpack4_preservice2.pdf
- Shulman, L.S. (1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4–14. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1175860?uid=3739216& Uid=2 & Uid=4 & Sid=21100980850933
- Tee, M.Y., & Lee, S.S. (2011). From socialization to internalisation: Cultivating technological pedagogical content knowledge through problem-based learning. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(1), 89-104. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet27/tee.pdf
- Thole, W. (2010). The pedagogical staff in day care– professionalism and professionalization in a pedagogical field of work. Zeitschrift fur Padagogik, 56(2), 206-222.
- Tsai, C.C., Chuang, S.C., Liang, J.C., & Tsai, M.J. (2011). Self-efficacy in Internet-based learning environments: A literature review. Educational Technology& Society, 14(4), 222-240. Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/14_4/19.pdf
- Wang, X.C., & Hoot, J.L. (2006). Information and communication technology in early childhood education. Early Education& Development, 17(3), 317-322. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/
- Wu, W.H., Chen, W.F., Wang, T.L., & Su, C.H. (2008). Developing and evaluating a game-based software engineering educational system. International Journal of Engineering Education, 24(4), 681-688. Retrieved from http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/intjee/ijee/2008/00000024/00000004/art00006?crawler=true
- Yurt, Ö., & Cevher-Kalburan, N. (2011). Early childhood teachers' thoughts and practices about the use of computers in early childhood education. Procedia Computer Science, 3, 1562-1570. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050911000512
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
The relations among teacher value beliefs, personal characteristics, and TPACK in intervention and non-intervention settings
Sheng-Lun Cheng & Kui Xie, The Ohio State University, United States
Teaching and Teacher Education: An International Journal of Research and Studies Vol. 74, No. 1 (August 2018) pp. 98–113
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.