You are here:

Attitudes of United States Army Reserve personnel toward computer technology for training
DISSERTATION

, Oklahoma State University, United States

Doctor of Education, Oklahoma State University . Awarded

Abstract

Scope and method of study. The purpose of this quantitative study was to determine attitudes of United States Army Reserve personnel toward computer technology for training. Participants in the study were 52 United States Army Reserve enlisted personnel serving in a U.S. Army Training Division. U.S. Army Reservists' attitudes were measured using the Computer Attitude Scale (CAS). This scale was designed in 1984 and updated in 1985 by Brenda H. Loyd and Clarice P. Gressard to measure attitudes toward the computer. The CAS provided scores on three subscales: (a) computer anxiety, (b) computer confidence, and (c) computer liking. Demographic information was added to the survey to provide data on the following 6 variables: (a) military rank, (b) years of service, (c) gender, (d) military operational specialty, (e) experience using the computer, and (f) having previously taken a military course using the Internet or a CD-ROM. Descriptive and Analysis of variance (ANAOVA) procedures were used to provide information on specific variables. This test was followed by post hoc comparisons.

Findings and conclusions. A total of 52 (34.6%) military participants returned the survey and 21 (11.6%) survey packets were returned undeliverable. The total return rate for deliverable packets was 46.2%. The majority of U.S. Army Reserve personnel reported a low level of computer anxiety, a high level of computer confidence, and high level of computer liking based on descriptive results. Analysis of variance tests indicated of the six independent variables measured computer experience was the only independent variable for which significant differences were found at the .05 alpha level. The concern may not be the attitudes, but on providing adequate training and experience using computer technology for training. Results of this study provided further understanding and factors related to attitudes to U.S. Army Reserve personnel toward computer technology.

Citation

Ott, K.D. Attitudes of United States Army Reserve personnel toward computer technology for training. Doctor of Education thesis, Oklahoma State University. Retrieved December 14, 2019 from .

This record was imported from ProQuest on October 22, 2013. [Original Record]

Citation reproduced with permission of ProQuest LLC.

For copies of dissertations and theses: (800) 521-0600/(734) 761-4700 or https://dissexpress.umi.com

Keywords