IJEDICT Volume 9, Number 1, ISSN 1814-0556 Publisher: Open Campus, The University of the West Indies, West Indies
This article details the spread and scope of large-scale 1:1 computing initiatives around the world. What follows is a review of the existing literature around 1:1 programs followed by a description of the large-scale 1:1 database. Main findings include: 1) the XO and the Classmate PC dominate large-scale 1:1 initiatives; 2) if professional development was conducted within a 1:1 initiatives, it was done at the onset of the project by venders of the hardware; 3) funding for 1:1 initiatives appears to be provided initially but not as a reoccurring expense.
Richardson, J., Mcleod, S., Flora, K., Sauers, N., Kannan, S. & Sincar, M. (2013). Large-Scale 1:1 Computing Initiatives: An Open Access Database. International Journal of Education and Development using ICT, 9(1), 4-18. Open Campus, The University of the West Indies, West Indies. Retrieved March 21, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/111905/.
- All Voices (2012). Paraguay will have “one laptop per child.” Retrieved from http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/9235421-paraguay-will-have-one-laptop-perchild
- Australian Government (2011, December 2). National secondary school computer fund. Retrieved from http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/DigitalEducationRevolution/ComputerFund/Pages/Na TionalSecondarySchoolComputerFundOverview.aspx
- Baskin, C., & Williams, M. (2006). ICT integration in schools: Where are we now and what comes next. Australian Journal of Educational Technology, 22(4), 455-473.
- BBC. (2012). India upgrades ‘world’s cheapest tablet’ Aakash. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18580131
- Bebell, D. (2005). Technology promoting student excellence: An investigation of the first year of 1:1 computing in New Hampshire middle schools. Technology and Assessment Study Collaborative: Boston College.
- Bebell, D., & Kay, R. (2010). One to one computing: A summary of the quantitative results from the Berkshire Wireless Learning Initiative. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 9(2), 1-59.
- Bebell, D., & O’Dwyer, L.M. (2010). Educational outcomes and research from 1:1 computing settings. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 9(1).
- Berry, A.M., & Wintle, S.E. (2009). Using laptops to facilitate middle school science learning: The results of hard fun. Center for Education Policy, Applied Research, and Evaluation: University of Southern Maine in collaboration with Bristol Consolidated School.
- Dawson, K., Cavanaugh, C., & Ritzhaupt, A.D. (2008). Florida’s EETT leveraging laptops initiative and its impact on teaching practices. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 41(2), 142-159.
- Davis, N., Preston, C., & Sahin, I. (2009). ICT teacher training: Evidence for multilevel evaluation from a national initiative. British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(1), 135-148.
- Derndorfer, C. (2011). All 1-to-1 ICT4E programs around the world and evaluation metrics for them. Retrieved from: https://edutechdebate.org/olpc-in-peru/all-1-to-1-ict4e-programsaround-the-world-and-evaluation-metrics-for-them/#IDComment335754995
- Donahoo, D. (2011). Motion math: Helping drive iPad and education research. Retrieved from http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12/motion-math-education-research/
- Drayton, B., Falk, J.K., Stroud, R., Hobbs, K., & Hammerman, J. (2010). After installation: Ubiquitous computing and high school science in three experienced, high-technology schools. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 9 (3).
- Drent, M., & Meelissen, M. (2008). Which factors obstruct or stimulate teacher educators to use ICT innovatively? Computers& Education, 51(1), 187-199.
- Dunleavy, M., & Heinecke, W.F. (2008). The impact of 1:1 laptop use on middle school math and science standardized test scores. Computers in the Schools, 24(3-4), 7-22.
- Dwyer, D. (1994). Apple classrooms of tomorrow: What we’ve learned. Educational Leadership, 51(7), 4-10.
- Florence, F. (2012). BYOD or 1:1 computing in K-12? The CTO’s weight in…Retrieved from http://blogs.cisco.com/education/byod-11-computing-in-k-12-the-ctos-weigh-in/
- Gulek, J.C., & Demirtas, H. (2005). Learning with technology: The impact of laptop use on student achievement. ERS Spectrum, 23(4), 4-20.
- Hu, W. (2007, May 4). Seeing no progress, some schools drop laptops. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com
- Intel. (2012). Intel-powered classmate PC deployment map. Retrieved from http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/classmatepc/
- Lei, J., & Zhao, Y. (2008). One-to-one computing: What does it bring to schools? Journal of Educational Computing Research, 39(2), 97-122.
- Light, D., McDermott, M., & Honey, M. (2002). Project Hiller: The impact of ubiquitous portable technology on an urban school. New York, NY: Center for Children and Technology, Education Development.
- Lowther, D.L., Ross, S.M., & Morrison, G.M. (2003). When each one has one: The influences on teaching strategies and student achievement of using laptops in the classroom. Educational Technology Research and Development, 51(3), 23-44.
- Maine Learning Technology Initiative. (2012). About MLTI. Retrieved from http://maine.gov/mlti/about/index.shtml
- McLeod, S. (2012). Are BYOD programs simply an excuse not to fully invest in 1:1? Retrieved from http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2012/09/are-byod-programs-simply-an-excuse-notto-fully-invest-in-11.html
- McLeod, S., Bathon, J., & Richardson, J.W. (2011). Studies of technology tool usage are not enough: A response to the articles in this special issue. Journal of Research in Leadership in Education, 6(5), 288-297.
- McLeod, S., & Richardson, J.W. (2011). The dearth of technology coverage. Journal of School Leadership, 21(2), 216-240.
- Mooij, T., & Smeets, E. (2001). Modeling and supporting ICT implementation in secondary schools. Computers& Education, 36(3), 265-281.
- Mouza, C. (2008). Learning with laptops: Implementation and outcomes in an urban, underprivileged school. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 40(4), 447-472.
- New South Wales Government. (2012). Digital education revolution-NSW. Retrieved from http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/how-we-operate/national-partnerships/digitaleducation-revolution
- One Laptop per Child (2011). One Laptop per Child deployment guide 2011. Retrieved from http://wiki.laptop.org/images/1/1c/OLPC_Deployment_Guide_2011.pdf
- Oppenheimer, T. (2003). The flickering mind: The false promise of technology in the classroom and how learning can be saved. New York, NY: Random House.
- Papert, S. (1992). The children’s machine. New York, NY: Harper Collins.
- Papert, S. (1996). The connected family: Building the digital general gap. Atlanta, GA: Long Street Press.
- Penuel, W.R. (2006). Implementation and effects of one-to-one computing initiatives: A research synthesis. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 38(3), 329-348.
- Quick, A. (2010). Examining issues critical to a 1:1 learning environment: Principal leadership. Raleigh, NC: The Friday Institute.
- Richardson, J.W. (2011). Challenges of adopting technology for education in less developed countries: The case of Cambodia. Comparative Education Review, 55(1), 8-29.
- Richardson, J.W., Finholt-Daniel, M., Sales, G., & Flora, K. (2012). Shifting pedagogical space: Egyptian educators’ use of Moodle. International Journal of Education and Development using ICTs, 8(2), 92-106.
- Richardson, J.W., & McLeod, S. (2011). Technology leadership in Native American schools. Journal of Research in Rural Education, 26(7), 1-14. Retrieved from http://jrre.psu.edu/articles/26-7.pdf.
- Russell, M., Bebell, D., & Higgins, J. (2004). Laptop learning: A comparison of teaching and learning in upper elementary classrooms equipped with shared carts of laptops and permanent 1:1 laptops. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 30(4), 313-330.
- Sauers, N.J., & McLeod, S. (2012). What does the research say about school one-to-one computing initiatives? Retrieved from http://schooltechleadership.org/wordpress/wpcontent/uploads/2012/06/CASTLEBrief01_LaptopPrograms.pdf
- Siegle, D. & Foster, T. (2000, April). Effects of laptop computer with multimedia and presentation software on student achievement. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Education Research Association (AERA), New Orleans, LA.
- Shanklin, W. (2012). Can an iPad replace a laptop? (2012 edition). Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/will-shanklin/ipad-vs-laptop_b_1374458.html
- Shapley, K., Sheehan, D., Sturges, K., Caranikas-Walker, F., Huntsberger, B., & Maloney, C. (2006). Evaluation of the Texas technology immersion pilot. Texas Center for Educational Research.
- Severin, E., & Capota, C. (2011). One-to-one laptop programs in Latin America and the Caribbean: Panorama and perspectives. (IDB-TN-273). Retrieved from the InterAmerican Development Bank website: http://idbdocs.iadb.org/wsdocs/getdocument.aspx?docnum=35989594
- Silvernail, D.L., & Gritter, A.K. (2007). Maine’s Middle School Laptop Program: Creating better writers. Portland, ME: University of Southern Maine.
- Solomon, G. (Ed.) (2005). 1:1 computing: A guidebook to help you make the right decisions [Special section]. Technology and Learning, 1-44.
- Stuke, D. (2012). Why 1:1 IT provision is the answer, and BYOD is not. Retrieved from http://danielstucke.com/post/17659600383/why-1-1-it-provision-is-the-answer-and-byodis-not
- Suhr, K.A., Hernandez, D.A., Grimes, D., & Warschauer, M. (2010). Laptops and fourth-grade literacy: Assisting the jump over the fourth-grade slump. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 9(5).
- Travers, J. (2012). IPad vs laptop for 1 to 1 school computing. Retrieved from http://ipadinschool.blogspot.com/2011/11/ipad-vs-laptop-for-1-to-1-school.html
- Warschauer, M., & Grimes, D. (2005). First year evaluation report: Fullerton School District laptop program. Irvine, CA: University of California, Irvine.
- Watson, D.M. (2001). Pedagogy before technology: Re-thinking the relationship between ICT and teaching. Education and Information Technologies, 6(4), 251-266.
- Weston, M.E., & Bain, A. (2010). The end of techno-critique: The naked truth about 1:1 laptop initiatives and educational change. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 9(6).
- Zucker, A.A., & McGhee, R. (2005). A study of one-to-one computer use in mathematics and science instruction at the secondary level in Henrico County Public Schools. Menlo Park, CA: SRI International and Education Development Center.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “T” in STEM: How elementary science teachers’ beliefs of technology integration translate to practice during a co-developed STEM unit
Angelina Constantine, Paula Rozowa & Alaina Szostkowski, University of Minnesota - STEM Education Center, United States; Joshua Ellis, Michigan Technological University, United States; Gillian Roehrig, University of Minnesota - STEM Education Center, United States
Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching Vol. 36, No. 4 (October 2017) pp. 339–349
Danielle Boulden, North Carolina State University, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2016 (Mar 21, 2016) pp. 874–881
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact email@example.com.