E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-76-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
This paper present from the outset the result of a survey at Aarhus University, Denmark on student’s usage, wishes, and demands for podcasting. In the light of this survey, the paper discusses the basic understandings and concepts of podcasts together with latest research findings of its use and effect in teaching and learning. The paper emphasizes that there is a mismatch between what students want and what they actually need when it comes to podcasting, and that the demands of the students seem based on entertainment usage. The paper concludes that pod-casting holds great potentials with regards to learning, but that podcasts must be short, engaging, and integrated in other learning objectives and methods. Finally, the paper put forth some simple recommendations and possible solutions to the use of podcasting in higher education.
Blok, R. & Godsk, M. (2009). Podcasts in Higher Education: What Students Want, What They Really Need, and How This Might be Supported. In T. Bastiaens, J. Dron & C. Xin (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2009--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 117-128). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 22, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/32442/.
© 2009 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Abram, S. (2006). Podcasting: the short course. Information Outlook, 10 (3), 34-35.
- Abt, G. & Barry, T. (2007). The Quantitative Effect of Students Using Podcasts in a First Year Undergraduate Exercise Physiology Module. Bioscience Education e-Journal, 10. Apple (2009a). Podcasts. Retrieved September 24, 2009, from http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html.
- Baker, R., Harrison, J., Thornton, B. & Yates, R. (2008). An Analysis Of The Effectiveness Of Podcasting As A Supplemental Instructional Tool: A Pilot Study. College Teaching Methods& Styles Journal, 4 (3), 49-54.
- Balleste, R., Rosenberg, J. & Smith-Butler, L. (2006). Podcasting, vodcasting, and law libraries: How to understand the newest‘ it ’ technology and use it in your library. AALL Spectrum, 10 (8), 8-10.
- Belanger, Y. (2005). Duke University iPod First Year Experience Final Evaluation Report. Durham NC: Duke University.
- Belanger, Y. (2007). CIT Report on Fall 2006 Duke Digital Initiative Instructional programs. Durham NC: Duke University.
- Bell, T., Cockburn, A., Wingkvist, A. & Green, R. (2007). Podcasts as a supplement in tertiary education: an experiment with two Computer Science courses. In D. Parsons& H. Ryu (Eds.), Mobile Learning Technologies and Applications (MoLTA) 200. Auckland: Massey University.
- Bongey, S.B., Cizadlo, G. & Kalnbach, L. (2006). Explorations in course-casting: podcasts in higher education. Campus-Wide Information Systems, 23 (5), 350-367.
- Campbel, G. (2005). There's Something in the Air: Podcasting in Education. EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, 40, 32-46.
- Chan, A., Lee, M.J.W. & McLoughlin, C. (2006). Everyone’ s learning with podcasting: A Charles Sturt University experience. Proceedings for 23rd annual ascilite conference, Sydney University Press, Sydney, 111-120.
- Clark, S., Taylor, L. & Westcott, M. (2007). Using short podcasts to reinforce lectures. In Proceedings of the Assessment in Science Teaching and Learning Symposium (pp. 22-27). Sydney: UniServe Science.
- Clark, S., Sutton-Brady, C., Scott, K.M. & Taylor, L. (2007). Short podcasts: The impact on learning and teaching. In A. Austin& J. Pearce (Eds.), Proceedings of mLearn Conference 2007 (pp. 285-289). Melbourne: University of Melbourne.
- Cochrane, T. (2005). Podcasting the do-it-yourself guide. Indianapolis: Wiley.
- DeVoe, K. (2006). Innovations affecting us: podcasting, coursecasting, and the library, Against the Grain, 18 (1), 78-85.
- Eash, E.K. (2006). Podcasting 101 for K-12 librarians, Computers in Libraries, 26 (4), 16-20.
- Edirisingha, P. (2007). The ''double life'' of an i-Pod: A case study of the educational potential of new technologies. Online Educa, 2006, Berlin.
- Edirisingha, P., Salmon, G.K. & Fothergill, J.C. (2007). Profcasting: a pilot study and guidelines for integrating podcasts in a blended learning environment. In prepublication draft. Leicester: Leicester Research Archive.
- Evans, C. (2008). The effectiveness of m-learning in the form of podcast revision lectures in higher education. Computers& Education, 50 (2), 491-498.
- Guertin, L.A., Bodek, M.J., Zappe, S.E. & Kim, H. (2007). Questioning the Student Use of and Desire for Lecture Podcasts. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 3 (2), 133-141.
- Heilesen, S. (2009). Om erfaringer med podcast i universiteternes undervisnings. Læring og Medier, 2, 1-23.
- Hew, K.F. (2008). Use of audio podcast in K-12 and higher education: a review of research topics and methodologies. Educational Technology Research and Development, OnlineFirst.
- IMPALA. (2007). Informal Mobile Podcasting And Learning Adoption. Http://www2.le.ac.uk/projects/impala. Accessed September
- HallKurtz, B.L., Fenwick, J.B. & Ellsworth, C.C. (2007). Using podcasts and tablet PCs in computer science. In D. Dicheva, V.P. Pauca & J. Burg (Eds.), Proceedings of the 45th annual southeast regional conference (pp. 484-489). New York: ACM.
- Lane, C. (2006). UW Podcasting: Evaluation of Year One. Seattle: University of Washington.
- Lazzari, M. (2009). Creative use of podcasting in higher education and its effect on competitive agency. Computers& Education, 52 (1), 27-34.
- Lee, M.J.W. (2007). Reducing the effects of isolation and promoting inclusivity for distance learners through podcasting. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 8 (1), 85-104.
- Lee, M.J.W., Miller, C. & Newnham, L. (2008). Podcasting syndication services and university students: Why don't they subscribe? The Internet and Higher Education, 12 (1), 53-59.
- Maag, M. (2006). IPod, uPod? An emerging mobile learning tool in nursing education and students'satisfaction. In L.
- Malan, D.J. (2007). Podcasting computer science E-1. In Proceedings of the 38th SIGCSE technical symposium on Computer science education (pp. 389-393). Covington, Kentucky, USA: ACM.
- Mathiasen, H. & Schrum, L. (2008). Web 2.0 and Social Software: Challenges and Complexity of Communication in Education. In A. Holzinger (Ed.), HCI and Usability for Education and Work (pp. 97-112). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.
- McDonald, J. (2002). Is‘ as good as face-to-face” as good as it gets?. ALN Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 6 (2), 10-23
- McKinney, D., Dyck, J.L. & Luber, E.S. (2008). ITunes University and the classroom: Can podcasts replace Professors? Computers& Education, 52 (3), 617-623.
- McKinney, A.A. & Page, K. (2009). Podcasts and videostreaming: Useful tools to facilitate learning of pathophysiology in undergraduate nurse education? Nurse Education in Practice, In Press, Corrected Proof.
- Muppala, J.K. & Kong, C.K. (2007). Podcasting and its use in enhancing course content. In V. Uskov (Ed.), Proceedings of
- Oxford University Press. (2009). Podcast. Retrieved September 24, 2009, from http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/teachersites/oald7/wotm/wotm_archive/podcast?cc=global.
- Prensky, M. (2006). “Don’t Bother Me Mom – I’m Learning”. ST Paul: Paragon House
- Ralph, J. & Olsen, S. (2007). Podcasting as an educational building block in academic libraries. Australian Academic& Research Libraries, 38 (4), 270-280.
- Stephens, M. (2005). The iPod experiments: Investigates ways that librarians are using this popular consumer device. Library Journal, 130 (7), 22-5.
- Techsmith (2009). Camtasia Studio, TechSmith's Screen Recording Software. Retrieved September 25, 2009, from http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.
Laurel Walsh & Keri VanOverschelde, Walden University, United States
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2013 (Oct 21, 2013) pp. 2570–2574
Mikkel Godsk, Centre for Science Education, Aarhus University, Denmark; Christian Dalsgaard, Centre for Teaching Development and Digital Media, Aarhus University, Denmark
EdMedia + Innovate Learning 2012 (Jun 26, 2012) pp. 2413–2420
Integrating Off-The-Shelf Language Learning Podcasts into the Curriculum: a Typology for Digital Wisdom.
Charles Humblet, Arts eLearning Unit, University of Sydney, Australia
Global Learn 2010 (May 17, 2010) pp. 320–325
These links are based on references which have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- presentation_3036_27015.ppt (Access with Subscription)