A Comparative Study of Synchronous Online and Face-to-Face Writing Tutorials
Shoba Bandi-Rao, New York University, United States
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-76-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
Writing Centers at colleges provide valuable support service to students needing help with editing/revising academic papers. Recent increase in demand for writing tutorials has prompted the Opportunity Programs to develop an online writing tutorial where the tutor and student interact synchronously. This study compares both quantitative and qualitative data from students who received tutorials (1) online and (2) face-to-face. Results show no significant differences between the two approaches in terms of (a) students’ satisfaction of the effectiveness of the tutorial and (b) convenience of working with a writing tutor. Although students agree that communication in the face-to-face tutorials can be more immediate, they felt that the online tutorials provided not only good service but also flexibility (late evening hours) and convenience (work from home). The outcome of this study is encouraging for writing centers to consider synchronous approaches to tutoring writing online.
Bandi-Rao, S. (2009). A Comparative Study of Synchronous Online and Face-to-Face Writing Tutorials. In T. Bastiaens, J. Dron & C. Xin (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2009--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 85-90). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 25, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/32435/.
© 2009 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Geller, A, Eodice, M., & Carroll, M. (2006). Everyday Writing Center: A Community of Practice. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah State University Press.
- McAndrew, D. & Reigstad, T. (2001). Tutoring Writing: A Practical Guide for Conferences. Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook Publishers, Inc.
- New York State Education Department. (2009). Http://www.highered.nysed.gov/kiap/COLLEGIATE/HEOP/introduction_to_heop.htm
- Present. (2002). Tutor.edu: A Manual for Writing Tutors. Retrieved March 15, 2009, from http://ww3.montreat.edu/tutor/1-2.htm
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- presentation_3036_27189.ppt (Access with Subscription)